1st Gen JCW Opinions

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Mr. Jim, May 10, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Motormax

Motormax New Member

Jun 4, 2012
    I'm CEO/Owner of GGS (Gryphon Global Services) a i
    Beautiful Tampa Bay Florida
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    So these (The leather ones shown in the pics in this thread) are not the JCW Recaro seats in the build catalog as found per MINI USA web site ? These are from another after market yet JCW ? You know its hard to tell because everything on the website is CGI !! UGH... I wouldn't mind the inter-active build catalog being all C graphics.. IF on the site you could see an actual photograph of the items. If I'm spending a potential 3k for example on BMW built, reduced weight, 18' custom JCW badged alloy wheels, a freaking actual photo of them would be nice !

:mad2:

Sorry for this misunderstanding.. These pics do look very comparable to what is represented electronically on the MINI website..

Thanks for the clarification Mr. Jim... Ugh Now I'm more confused then ever LOL :confused5:

2. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Those are JCW Recaro's make for the UK not aftermarket. The ones MINI USA are different and I thought only available for the coupe, has that changed?

3. Motormax

Motormax New Member

Jun 4, 2012
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Apparently Mr. Jim (Perhaps as of the 2012 models ?). They are found in the "JCW INTERIOR DESIGN" list on the interactive build configuration page in MINIUSA.com Its a $2750.00 (USD) option. So it's pricey. It does show the seat installed in the mock up after it's selected. I'm trying to stay under 45k (Before my after-market budget) and this would bring me slightly over. This car for me (As others had stated on this thread about they're motors ) would be a product of years of hard work (& emotional statement regarding surviving...and I don't use that word loosely... some very hard times) so it's going to be my ride long term for the foreseeable future and I have a total budget of 60k after taxes.

Aftermarket Items I'm considering: Stainless Steel brake lines, Upgraded Air Intake (Alta), ECU Flash/tune, Upgraded Larger Inter-cooler (Alta), Lowering coil-covers, needed sway bars, Turbo Heat shield (Alta), Upgraded Hose Package, and a few other minor things to correct known specific MINI idiosyncrasies.

But I want to consult a reliable, knowledgeable, honest, MINI mechanic/tuner before any install. I want REAL gains and benefits. I don't want to just throw $ under the hood (bonnet) for the sake of doing so, or false & foolish bragging rights. So this Forum is a great help and tool for my over all build strategy. Everyone here is been so great and I am very appreciative of everyone's experience and advice. :Thumbsup:

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The modding money can be better spent than on the products you name. You might want to have a chat with some of the M/A sponsors first. My impression is that with some of those of the items you list that you would be just tossing $ under the bonnet with no real gains, even possible losses.

5. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Nathan is right. For example, factory driving lights come to about $800.00 (in 2009) after dealer install. You can do after market much cheaper.

There are many sponsors here, who will give you a straight answer, on what is worth it and what is not. I've learned this first hand. :Thumbsup:

Jim

6. Motormax

Motormax New Member

Jun 4, 2012
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the heads up Nathan and for welcoming me in this Forum I already feel very at home here. A community takes on the texture and tenor of it's founders and elders and this community is something you and well everyone here should be proud of. I look to be a supporting member here very soon. Yes it's easily a good financial decision because the information here is quite valuable and the over all $ I will save (Not to mention time and frustration) will far out weigh the price of admission as it were, but truly (At the risk of sounding a bit like a suck-up :aureola:) I believe in what you have done and continue to do here.

So lets talk about some of my flawed reasoning.. LOL ! Specifically two things. The first thing I wanted to do was the brake-line upgrade because I have read that the stainless steel lines give not only a slightly better brake response (always a plus) but actually feels better behind the wheel when applied. Spongy or disassociated breaking is not only a gen pet peeve of mine, I have had foot surgery and there is a little bit of numbness there so the better the response the more connected the breaking action feels the better the car would compensate for that. The next immediate thing I wanted to do was the heat shield 1st I was lead to believe this would keep the engine bay cooler and help with cooler air flow even with the stock intake. Secondly I hear the turbo unit generates a good amount of heat (and the JCW turbo is even slightly larger then the stock S ) and this non displaced heat can effect the paint on the hood (bonnet). Are these things you have found to be true or accurate ? Thanks for all the continued advice !

7. Motormax

Motormax New Member

Jun 4, 2012
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Is this in regards to rally lights ? That's funny you must be psychic, :eek6: because I hadn't mention them earlier and oddly enough I was just thinking of those today ! At first I didn't think I wanted them but I was looking at some video and a MINI had them and I really liked the look ! A lot ! Do you think the rally light interrupts the airflow in regards of the overall aerodynamics of the front of the car in any significant manor ? Also I'm intending to get the JCW aero kit. Do you know if that inhibits the instillation and/or placement of the rally lights ? Thanks Jim

8. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I can't speak about the aero kit, but it is not a problem as far as air flow goes on the regular set up. Most of the cooling air comes from the lower grill. so that should be kept clear. The location of two lights on the upper grill place them in an area that is not open anyway. I have four on mine and never had a problem.

Jim

9. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Good thinking ^^^

I'd recommend calling & talking to Chad at Detroit Tuned.

Detroit Tuned
    Phone: 586.792.MINI

10. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Or Way and Way Motor Works.

Jim

11. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    #31 minimark, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
    Call 949 456-9590, ask for Jan.

12. Motormax

Motormax New Member

Jun 4, 2012
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Well I have decided I love them ! Thanks for the info !

13. Motormax

Motormax New Member

Jun 4, 2012
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Thanks yet again for all the great advice ! I'm not going to do anything foolish and will consult someone I learn to trust and have a working relationship with. More then likely one or more of the sponsors here ! :)

14. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I got my "quad bar" from VIP Custom Parts. They also sell the brackets for the two light arrangement and will include Hela 500 lights, mounted and ready to go. Easy wiring hook up, with instructions.

Jim

15. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Sorry I am not a big fog light guy so I can not give advice about them but I can say that all vendors are good on M/A. Each one has it's own specialty and none is really a master off all. They are all very knowledgable and offer great customer support.

Search, (even Google) post and read as many post as you can and you will find out from others what is good and what is total crap. It's very cheap to do lots of research before you spend you hard earned money on junk.

Best of luck and motor on.

P.S. Recaros are great seats, I have a set out of a Mitsubishi Evo 9 and I love them over race seats and they are much better then the OEM beach chair seats.

16. Motormax

Motormax New Member

Jun 4, 2012
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Great site been having a lot of fun checking them out ... Once again Jim... THANK YOU ! :Thumbsup: