3rd Gen JCW Opposite of the eMINI: F56 JCW GP

Discussion in '3rd Generation: 2014+ F54, F55, F56, F57, F60' started by Redbeard, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    BM'r will have to go in the opposite direction, design wise, to get me (and several other previous Gen fans) in a new MINI.

2. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    #22 agranger, Sep 7, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    Yep... dial every cool feature on the concept back by 90% and that MIGHT make it into production, if it doesn't impact health and safety regulations (which are many)... so it will basically be the regular JCW MCS with some stickers, minor aero changes, suspension tuning and a few interior bits changed up to make it more sporting and less family friendly.

I'm not saying that the GP3 won't be interesting... really that I just hate the whole idea of concept cars because they are really just saying "Hey! Look at the cool cars that we COULD build instead of the stuff we ACTUALLY give you"

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yes good summary. Look someone had to bring up the R53 so in a moment of weakness I did it. :biggrin5:

I really wish they would build it just like the pictures. I may not like the looks of the Gen3 but some do look good. They are Minis so I still like seeing what people do with them. My wife doesn't like it when I call her R57 piggy. She once reminded me the Helmet has the same front, well yea its a little homely too but still very cool.
    If they make the GP3 as shown and you do some tuning on it you would have one BAD A$$ mini and if it were mine I would not care what it looked like.

but it would not be an R53:lol::lol:

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Just make sure you run the Dragon in your EV MINI from the highest point to the lowest point.... Same with the Blue Ridge Parkway... Top to Bottom.....

All of the IC MINI's would have a choice of either or both....:Thumbsup:

FYI...All New Jaguars And Land Rovers Will Be Hybrid Or Electric After 2020

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    MINI stopped making mini's after 2006. Everything after that has been a fatter and bigger car with no soul.

The R53 was the last of the great MINI's. PERIOD

All the new ones are just hipster design abortions to please the worthless millennials living in their parents basements.

If you don't like the facts LXM might be the Facebook site for you. :lol:

6. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    It's okay for the track. On the street, it would look like a ridiculous boy racer aftermarket body kit.

Design-wise, it's the opposite of the clean simplicity of the R50/R53. Remember when the advertising slogan was MINImalism?

7. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    Correction, Mini stopped making Mini's in March of 2000. BMW bought the name, changed it then started making the larger fatter MINI's with no soul in 2002.

The Mini 1.3i was the last of the great Mini's. PERIOD

:D

8. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I was waiting for that!

IMHO, the R53 is a modern interpretation of the original MINI. Then the R56 is a take on the R53... Gen 3 a copy of that, etc. It's like making a copy of a copy of a copy. After a while, you get away from the original purpose of the car. It doesn't make it a bad car... just not as on-target to the original.

I couldn't deal with a Mini (the original, with a cap-M and a small-ini)... I need air-bags, crumple-zones, lights that work ( :D ) etc, but I want that raw, connected feel, so I like the R53. If you want a better daily driver, a more reliable car and a car that fits the American consumer's tastes better, look to one of the newer generations.

We all want something different... so I'm happy that there are many different Minis and MINIs out there, because there are many different drivers. Can't we all just get along? Fun cars matter!

9. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    Hey, it's all in fun :)
    I'm holding out for a late 90's classic Mini. I've driven a late 70's model, though fun it was very underpowered. I'd like something similar just newer.
    The R53 is what I wanted but couldn't get financing for one to save my life. I was going for an 05 in mint condition, dark blue, low miles, but the bank wouldn't give me 10g's for it and the guy wanted 12. Hindsight I coulda just asked for a signature loan, but that's how it went.
    I'm happy with my R56. She's got plenty of soul, or bitchyness, not really sure :beer

10. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    Being that I turned 70 this past July I thought I was a Boomer. Silly me. And obviously the only reason I'm living in my own house is because my parents are long gone. Sure do miss that basement... the one I moved out of in 1966, when I got my draft notice.

11. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    vetsvette, your only as old as you feel. I hope to never grow up.

Ok sorry everyone I was not intending to start an R war. I was trying to be funny. I missed the mark.

Back to the subject.......This GP if built would be so over the top. I really wish Mini would make something this over the top. Its thumbing their nose at being practical something they use to do all the time and would be a refreshing change. The 2.0 has all sorts of power to be unleashed. If it were released in that form I would buy it if I could, take it home and rip that 2 letter out mod the crap out of it, stick it back in and pick on every RS, Honda type R, VW R, and STI I could find. She may be ugly but she would be fun!

As far as that front splinter being to close to the ground, the Helmet's front splitter is only 4" off the ground. Its fine it your care full.

12. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I was taking about BMW MINI's.