Other The Scan Gauge?

Discussion in 'MINI' started by Justa Jim, Oct 19, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I am finding that I really use my scan gauge a lot while driving, but the black, unlighted numbers on a lighted background hard to see at times. Are there devices out there, about the same size, where the numbers light up? I have done some searching, but not found what I am looking for. I do not need one as used for tracking. Just simple and easy to see.

Jim

2. YeloMini

YeloMini Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Maybe an Aeroforce Interceptor with white display?
    Aeroforce Technology Inc | Products - Interceptor

The Mini isn't officially supported but they have a few out there in Mini that are working. I don't have mine installed yet. Switching from a Scangauge for a round gauge.

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
  4. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    One of the things I particularly like about the Garmin display is that it's analog as well as digital.....it's also very easy to see in all kinds of light conditions.

[​IMG]

Also, you can display 5 parameters at a time instead of just 2 or 3....

5. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I know there is more info on that nuvi thing around her somewhere, but searching does nothing for post count. :D What models does this work with and what is required?

6. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the posts guys. Still not exactly what I am looking for. Sadly of all the cool stuff the MINI tells me, only the RPM and time is correct with the OEM gauges. I really like the Garmin lay out, but I would need one for gauges and one to navigate with, which could get a bit pricey. :eek6: Wish Scan Gauge would come out with Scan Gauge III.

Jim

7. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0

You'll have to go to the Garmin site to know all of them for sure, but I know it works with any of the newer 4 digit models with Bluetooth.

The 1490T is a good value, you can find them for under $200 now and you need the HD dongle too, which I've seen as cheap as $80 now, that's all.

The "T" means traffic, which is a feature that's supposed to warn you when you encounter slow and go or stopped traffic - hopefully in time to take another route. My experience with it is that it warns you just in time to stop in the middle of it, or tells you there's traffic ahead when it's clear sailing - not one of their best features so far. The good news is that you can simply turn it off. When you do, you get rid of the annoying coupons that pop up from time to time as you drive - I hated those!

I really like the larger 5" screen that the 4 digit models have, and the unit has tons of features, many I haven't figured out how to use yet. Since it has Bluetooth you can also couple it to your Bluetooth enabled phone, then if you get a call it shows up on the Garmin - you can answer it there and it's a hands free device too - that feature works pretty well and does not interfere with the gauges either. You can also voice dial from the Garmin, or screen dial a number and so on - the phone thing works well. I don't think all of the 4 digit units do this.....

8. Tron Chief

Tron Chief "Need More Coffee"
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Maintenance Supervisor Del Monte, retired 30 year
    Lemoore California
    Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0

Jim,

What about a gauge? Take a look at my garage or gallery for options. Steve at Custom Mini Shop has several options available for gauges. His user name is SRTech here on MA :Thumbsup:

John

9. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I was looking for one like the Scan Gauge, but with a better readout. Nice looking MINI you have there. :Thumbsup:

Jim

10. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Doesn't the Garmin read off the OBII port?

If so then all the readings are delayed since MINI has a delay programed into the output.

11. Tron Chief

Tron Chief "Need More Coffee"
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Maintenance Supervisor Del Monte, retired 30 year
    Lemoore California
    Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Jim maybe I'm a little bias but I had to vote for Master Blaster for the Featured Mini :D Oh wait thats me :devil:

12. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Yes, now that I think about it you are right. So, only the clock and the radio station is correct. That is kind of sad. Why have all those readouts if they are all wrong, other then to make people think they are going faster and getting better MPG then they are and Lotise doesn't care. I'm sure, from other posts, it is some kind of safety/DOT thing, but I like good information not merely close. :sad:

Jim

13. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Yes, the Garmin reads off the OBDII port, but don't all of those type gauges, like scangauge and such?

How long is the delay?

We talking seconds here, or days? :D

14. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Assuming that you have the clock set correctly. And do you have an HD radio? Do you notice a delay compared to the same station in analog? :crazy: :devil:

15. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Hummmm, maybe I'll just drive until I hear the warning for low fuel and not look at any of the gauges anymore. "No officer, I have no idea how fast I was going and what does looking at the speedometer have to do with anything? This is a MINI Cooper." :D

Jim

16. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    My guess is the MINI/Garmin interface delay is about a second, I can live with that.

Jim, just for you I checked my MPG, by hand using math, and it was 27.1 MPG, which gets me about 3 weeks of 20 miles return daily trips to work, and the odd beer run:beer, I can live with that too. 50/50 residential streets/highway.

Mark

17. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
  18. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I'm glad you are happy with that and honored you checked it just for me. :cornut:

Jim

19. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
  20. YeloMini

YeloMini Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    It may be the device causing the delay not the Mini. For example, the Aeroforce Interceptor reacts just as fast, if not faster (in milliseconds) than an Autometer Boost Gauge in a R56, yet a Scangauge has a delay when programmed for boost display.