Recipes Most liked posts in thread: Otto's Beer Cheese Soup

1. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    I just heard three of my previously repaired coronary arteries slam shut from the threat alone. MMMmmmm, I'll just have to chance it and toss in an extra Lipitor. Problem is the beer. With over 2000 breweries operating where does one start. I don't see there being enough onions to find out all the possibilities.

2. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    It's a personal taste thing, but I say you don't want a very heavy beer for this recipe. You want the flavor but you don't want it to overpower, plus a very dark beer might add a bit too much color. Beer is also one of those "if a little is good, more must be better!" ingredients but more can definitely alter the outcome in terms of flavor, texture or both. Choose carefully and don't overdo it.....you can always add more if you think it needs it. :Thumbsup:

3. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    So, save the good stuff for the Sam Adams glasses and use the co-pilot's cheap date Bud Lite for cooking. I can do that.

4. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm, I don't know about Bud Lite. I like Coors Light for quenching my thirst but I wouldn't use it in this recipe...not much different than substituting plain water. You need flavor that will carry through, just avoid your most heavy, bitter choices, Imperial Stouts, that sort of thing. That's why I like something like a Killian's Red for this, it's more flavorful and you know it's there when you're eating but it doesn't make the beer the primary flavor ingredient. You'll get plenty of sharpness from that extra sharp cheddar, IMO just the right amount.

The other big flavor ingredient you use to personalize to your own taste is the sausage. There are a lot of choices out there, just pick something you'd like to eat on its own and it will likely shine in the soup.