1st Gen R53 Cooper S Overheating only on-track and all out

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by mini_racer, Mar 25, 2013.

1. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    #1 mini_racer, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
    Symptoms:
    1. Heater does not work (blows cold)
    2. Overheats while on track only. Street driving it is fine and if I keep the revs below ~7K on the track it also does not overheat.

It used to run ~200F on the track,and this was a data point from a 40F warmer day and using the pedal all the way (i.e. 8K redline for my car). Today I needed to keep it below 7K and still the temp it fluctuates from 210 to 230F, if I am lucky.

Today I was able to keep running as long as I kept bleeding the system. But that is no fun and only partially helpful.

I have a theory, but was hoping to hear your ideas. Oh yeah, and the thermostat is new and working and the water pump is original at 42k miles but still pumping as water comes out of the bleeder when the thermostat opens at 195F.

If I keep bleeding it like crazy, then sometimes I can get the heater to work a little.

Thanks.....

2. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: After all of the obvious(coolant level, thermostat housing crack, coolant over flow tank leak/crack, a hose leaking) check the water pump 'bearing inspection hole' for leaking coolant or a 'rust' mark indicating a failing water pump.:Thumbsup:

Jason

3. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    My guess....if you have to keep bleeding it... air or more likely combustion gasses are getting into the cooling system......so sounds like a head-gasket may be going.
    Hope I am wrong....but if the system has been properly bleed to start...the air is coming from somewhere....

4. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Yes, unfortunately that is my theory as well. Head Gasket :^(

Maybe it is rpm, but more accurately my limiting factor is likely boost. With the higher boost pressures the combustion gasses are somehow being pushed into a water jacket. Somehow, meaning....... I hope it is just a gasket.

5. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    1. Compression test
    2. Leakdown test
    3. Change the oil and look at it
    4. Oil analysis

I ran an oil analysis after a few track weekends and a blown supercharger last summer. I got really nervous when there was coolant in the oil, but it turned out to be nothing. You can get a compression tester for $30; you're qualified to use it if you can change the spark plugs.

6. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

May 22, 2012
    Graphic Design Student/Airport Office Assistant
    Flemington, NJ
    Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    What BThayer23 said! Go to autozone or the like and pick up the compression tester adapter. It's a hose with a threaded end that screws into the spark plug thread and then a pressure gauge attaches to the end of it. I paid $25 for mine.

Just some addition info from what I am dealing with my mini, even though the PTO gears in the SC failed and the water pump failed (I replaced it new at 17k mikes ago), I could still bleed coolant from both valves and my heater blew cold air. So you can't really tell say the water pump is running okay.

Unless you can do the work yourself, I would suggest the leakdown test and also get your cooling system pressure tested.

Self-diagnosing can lead to unneeded costly repairs, if you are unsure just bring it to a trusted mechanic.

7. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    1. yep, next on my list, I have some baseline numbers from a while back to reference.
    2. yep, just picked-up one today
    3. Visually the oil has no coolant in it, or vice versa.

Just last night I took the cap off the overflow tank after sitting for 24 hrs after 3hrs of street driving, and it had pressure in it.

On the street the temp is parked at 194F, never a problem.

8. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Good luck with the testing. I hope it's something small, like a t-stat housing leak.

9. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Thanks but given this.....'Just last night I took the cap off the overflow tank after sitting for 24 hrs after 3hrs of street driving, and it had pressure in it.'

The system seems to be able to hold pressure under normal conditions. My theory is that only under the extreme conditions of high boost and rpm it is leaking combustion gases into the coolant, via a bad head gasket(hopefully).

I just changed the T-stat ~3 months back and the housing was not leaking then, sure it could be now, but I do not have any evidence of that so far.

10. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Yup....all of us have watched some threads turn into train-wrecks!!

11. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    That bit of Good Advice never gets old.

12. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

May 22, 2012
    Graphic Design Student/Airport Office Assistant
    Flemington, NJ
    Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    I got 'lucky' with my issues since the things I replaced I was planning on replacing anyways, so no money was wasted.

13. SNEEEZY - Erika

SNEEEZY - Erika M/A Wrenchin' Babe!
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    Definitely sounds like a bad head gasket.