1st Gen R53 Cooper S Oversteer and understeer where is the balance?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by BSTINS, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I'd say the combination of a rear bar, camber plates & a good alignment transformed my cars handling from good to great. Oh yes the tires do last longer. :)

2. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    Interesting.....

I'm doing a rear sway bar here in a few weeks. This thread is very informative.

3. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Supply Chain Implementation Guy
    A bit north of the 'burgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    Thread worth bumping with summer and autocross season in full swing... remember to back off the tire pressure and rear bar settings before driving home!

4. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    I'm trying the next step next weekend--an inch wider rim up front, same tire size.

5. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    Friend of mine did that, impressive difference. Can lead to a bit of 'tramlining" as the wider rim picks up the tire ruts, but it's easily handled. Also makes the tires themselves look so much more aggressive.

6. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Funny you mention that--I put the tires on this weekend to check for any rubbing issues, took a quick spin around the block, and on the highway, and the first thing I noticed was the tramlining, even on regular roads. The second thing I noticed was the braking was better, even on cold tires.

I would not want to run this setup on the street though, following every nook and cranny in the road grows tiresome very quickly on a daily driver.

7. jasonsmf

jasonsmf Active Member

Jun 12, 2009
    engineer
    Elyria, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    +1 !!

My autox setup is 15x9 up front (225/45/15) and 15x7 rear (205/50/15). With a touch of toe out up front it is a HANDFUL at highway speeds. My 100 mile (one way) highway trip to yesterday's event was a bear, no texting/talking/sipping on starbucks for me! But hey, I got to hang out with the one and only DixonL2, so it was worth it :-D

Jason

8. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    "The one and only" DixonL2 indeed.... (thank God!)

Fun times, and fun TIMES. JasonSMF (who technically is jasonstx now...) was CRUSHING the autocross course, the corner workers where I was (a very technical box-slalom gate corner with a sweeper slalom finish) were complimenting the balance he had in his R53... but as he said, what was "oh so right" on the autoX course wasn't the balance you'd want on the street.

Horses for courses...

9. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    What a great bunch of info! I have a 19 mm solid bar on my 05 R53 which was originally set it up in the middle hole. Most recently I moved it to the lightest setting after two years at medium. I experienced a positive change in street ride and have learned to appreciate the lesser tendancy for oversteer. It's a subtle change that I'm happy I made.

10. RallyMini370

RallyMini370 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    I'm going to be looking for a more oversteer for the gravel stages in Costa Rica. The stages are twisty so the more oversteer the better. I had that with the Swift which was great but took a lot of focus to keep a good pace. With FWD cars on gravel the front wheels tend to pull the rest of the car along depending on steering input and foot to the boards. The main aim is to not steer around the corner but have the whole car slide around keeping the front wheels straight ready to power out. Understeer scrubs of speed and most likely you will be visiting the tree tops on the outside of the curve. Reading here it seems I need to stiffen up the rear sway bar. Is the stock "MCS" stiffer than the MC?

This nice photo shows the Swift taking a left hand corner with very little steering input.

[​IMG]

11. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Nice picture Chris. You be stylin.... :D

Having only run RWD on rally I had more than a handful of over-steer. Most times it was great a few it was :eek6: I agree over-steer is the fast way on the loose surfaces. :biggrin5: Rally car handling is another beast entirely.