Own a pea shooter? Post up

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PGT, May 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I bought a Mossberg 500 last fall when we got a call that the wife's ex 'might be coming to visit'.

Back in December, I bought a GSG-5PK. I just got five 22rd mags for it....we got to the range a few weeks back and shot the GSG-5PK, a GSG-5L (rifle version), a Tromex Saiga-12 (think AK based shotgun) and a .459 SOCOM. Had some issues cycling Federal .22LR HV through it at first so switched to the 10rd stock mag. Ran fine...just needed some breaking in.

The Saiga is a BLAST to shoot. First round downrange, it knocked my ear protection off. Forgot....earplugs only if you want to sight in on that thing - the over ear types rest on the stock. I made an ass of myself with that one. :mad5: The SOCOM...HOLY ****. A standard AR-15 30rd mag holds 9 rounds of .458, to give you an idea. It's completely pointless but hell, it's fun. :Thumbsup:

We have an EXCELLENT local private range - Silver Eagle Group. Beautiful facility and the people are 100x nicer than the NRA range staff. :idea:

The .458 had some issues. The shoulders on the brass apparently wasn't done to spec and wouldn't chamber easily when charging. Jam almost every time. We were able to get a few rounds off once the first was chambered but the rest of the ammo is going back for replacement (at $2/round, you'd better believe it's getting swapped).

On to some pics....

the Mossy 500 'tacticool' build (Knoxx stock, grip, side carrier and ghost ring sites):

[​IMG]

The PK with 22rd mag:

[​IMG]

generic pics of the 'scary' guns my buddy owns but I get to shoot (best kind of guns IMHO):
    the Tromix Saiga 12
    [​IMG]

the .458 SOCOM
    [​IMG]

2. OutMotoring

OutMotoring Club Coordinator
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I too have a number of goodies in the Gun Save but thank heavens my wife does not have an ex or it would be opened more often...

Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm
    Beretta CX4 Storm 9mm assault rifle
    Tika T3 Lite Stainless 270 win
    Ruger 10-22 modded
    Beretta Neos u22 pistol 6"
    "" u22 4.5"
    "" another full uNeos 22 6"
    Hi point 9mm
    soon to be here: Beretta 9mm sub compact
    soon to be here: Ruger LCP 38

3. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I'm considering an LCR with Crimson Trace grip for my CCW

4. R56 Ed

R56 Ed New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I shot a .458... once. First round knocked my eyeglasses clean off my face. :eek:
    Second round was enough to call it quits. I have a lot of respect for folks who can shoulder that beast! :D

5. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    the same type Ed? Or another .458? It's a specific tool....silly for the average owner to have one. I'd like an M1A1 SOCOM myself...a little more reasonable for the layman.

After shooting the Saiga....the .458 was a little more 'normal' to shoot. The Saiga is a semi-auto 12ga with a 10 round magazine. My buddy got some 30rd drum magazines for it. Shooting off 10rds fast fills the range with a cloud of smoke and everybody else down the line stops what they're doing to find out dubya tee eff is going on :lol:

6. Mol

Mol New Member

May 5, 2009
    self employed
    In front of the computer
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Here's me with mine:
    [​IMG]

It's an SKS.

7. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    nice! but you need a bigger magazine :D

8. Mol

Mol New Member

May 5, 2009
    self employed
    In front of the computer
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    It holds 10 right now. I have these little fast load clips you can fill ahead of time and the bullets just slide in real fast. I'd like to get a 50 banana clip, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

9. Jabbles

Jabbles New Member

May 4, 2009
    HVAC service
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Do you ever go out shooting? Or is it just your Alfie protector?

10. Mol

Mol New Member

May 5, 2009
    self employed
    In front of the computer
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I shot it on occasion when I lived in TN. It's my front door gun... you know... the one you leave leaning up behind the door... "Just in case". Up here in MI that doesn't seem to go over quite as normal as it does in TN.

11. donaldj

donaldj New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Front Door Gun! I love it!

A few months ago, some friends were over playing cards. We wrapped up at about midnight, and most of my buddies left. Two friend stayed behind to help clean up and BS a little bit about our recent martial arts classes.

About 15 minutes later, I hear scraping and activity at the front door. I quietly got my front door gun (a Heckler&Koch USP Compact.45 (also my conceal carry gun and my front door gun)) and answered the door, firearm behind my back.

It turns out that one of my buddies forgot something and was just trying to get back in (he heard us inside). He didn't want to ring the doorbell for fear of waking up our infant. Of course, the firearm was not drawn or brought to bear without target recognition, so there was no danger to anyone other than a "heightened sense of situational awareness".

My friends now ring the doorbell or quietly knock. :lol:

Before any flamers start criticizing, please understand the following:
    1) I was not drinking. Stone sober!
    2) I did not have the firearm pointed at a person.
    3) I attempted to recognize the potential target before drawing
    4) The safety remained on
    5) The trigger guard remained devoid of trigger finger.
    6) It was very late.
    7) I have a family to defend.​

As for pea shooters, I have a bunch. I had to give up on the hobby a bit to start autocrossing. I can only justify so much recreation money to the household financial officer. My favorites are the H&K mentioned above, and my Walther PPK/S (summer carry).

D

12. Mol

Mol New Member

May 5, 2009
    self employed
    In front of the computer
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I was gonna my carry permit, but I think it is easier in TN than here in MI.

Here's Squirlz a month and a half ago when we were visiting a good friend of ours down at the Dragon.

[​IMG]

Pretty much everyone I know down in TN has a carry permit.

13. donaldj

donaldj New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    There are definitely some hoops to jump through, but it became for more accessible in MI after 2001. I think for about $250, passing the class, proficiency, and background checks, you can get one in about 3 months.

The nice thing is it became fair. If you are qualified, you can get one. Before then, you had to be politically connected, but not qualified.

This is better.

14. wolf617

wolf617 New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    In my toybox:

Beretta White Onyx Sporting 12 gauge O/U
    Remington 870 Express 12 gauge pump
    Remington (Spartan(Baikal)) 12 gauge semi-auto
    Stoeger Condor 12 gauge O/U
    Ruger MarkII .22 5 1/2 bull barrel
    Ruger 10/22 (2)
    Ruger New Vaquero .38/.357 5 1/2 (2)
    Glock 17
    Pietta Colt 1860 New Army BP repro
    1940 Luger P-08 Mauser manufacture Dad's bring back souvenir from his all expense paid European tour ;)

Currently looking for a .45 for my 45th birthday