Pre Migration OY! M/A was allegedly attacked today 11/13/13

Discussion in 'Announcements, How do I, Feedback' started by Nathan, Nov 13, 2013.

1. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I guess I'm blessed. Because I'm more clueless then normal.

2. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Motor On is a mod over on the NAMless site. Most of us long timers here have been banned at one time or another by him. He is quite the dick.

3. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    Go to that other site, and start a ruckus you will find out in no time... ;)

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Theres more than one D on that site! If I heard "did you do a search" one more time I thought I would lose it! :mad2:

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    More than a moderator. He's the lead "admin".

That is in quotes as IB has the admin's wings clipped to the point they can't fly.

6. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    These guy's couldn't fly either.....:D

[​IMG]

dodo.JPG

7. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Post something positive about a vendor who doesn't support the site, and you'll find out in less than 5 minutes who Motoring On is. It's no longer a site for sharing information, it's strictly for promoting products--it lost the balance between the two the day IB took over. It still has it's uses, mainly for the marketplace and archives, but this is a much better site overall--most everyone who actually knows anything was either banned there by Motoring On or left because don't like what the site has become. There weren't that many good mods there to begin with; Nate was one of the few that was. When you replace Nate with GreyRaven, it speaks volumes about what the priorities are.

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    ^^^ Tastes like chicken = extinct

9. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    First of all, thanks Nathan for all your hard work keeping our little clubhouse going....

Second, any idea why this site has been targeted - twice now?

A couple of days ago when all this was going on I tried to log in and got redirected - to a site that redirects you to the links they want you to go to - and I couldn't get back out without going to the task manager. I spent the next 5 hours debugging my system with Malwarebytes which found 26 Trojans on my system! I hope I caught them in time, before they spread anywhere else.

At any rate, I left the site alone for a couple of days and all seems back to normal now, just FYI.

10. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    #90 Nathan, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
    I have no idea why the site was targeted. I'm not going to go into detail as to how the attacks were created suffice to say they were DDOS attacks.

The site that you were redirected to was an accident. The host company fat fingered the IP address into the DNS settings. The site wasn't even close to what the address for this site is.

The Trojans were not from that accidental misdirect. That site is a legit site that does not deliver Trojans. It may not of been the type of site many of us normally visit, but it was not malicious. It was just an accident that the redirect was incorrect. I too ran malwarebytes and it was clean. I also did some comprehensive checking with ESET and a secondary anti-virus to be sure there was nothing on my PC.

Before bringing the site back up we ran some virus checks on the server to make sure nothing was injected. Even going so far as to running a differential compare to a last known good backup with two of us checking all reported changes visually to validate that they were legitimate.

I feel the need to reiterate that M/A did not deliver any Trojans.

11. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    No, no, I wasn't saying M/A gave me virus, just that I got redirected and later ran Malwarebytes and it found a bunch - where or when I got them I have no idea. But once I got redirected I couldn't get out of the loop till I went to the Task Manager and even then it wouldn't release right away.......

At any rate, I'm glad you got it sorted out and thanks for clarifying that for the other readers.

12. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Thanks for keeping the site up!!!