1st Gen R53 Cooper S P0108 with DSC and rough running

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by ZippyNH, May 12, 2014.

1. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Well folks....my luck with a near perfect running MINI might be over....:cryin:
    The other night I had a rapid cut out/stutter. (about 3300 rpm highway...revving to higher in neural would make it run smooth..and ok back in gear for a bit)..with the DSC light coming on....no code till I shut the car off, and restarted...
    Upon restart, the code pops up...
    car ran home..about 40 miles...ran OK...but not good..better than before...but still just a rapid stutter/powerloss..same code, same dsc light...
    Did some searching...found this
    http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/cooper-s-engine-drivetrain/15856-wot-code-p0108.html#axzz31WBLXJIh
    went to order the part...can get it here on Wednesday....but a friend who works in a different dealer at the parts counter says very few of these are sold...so they are not even stocked....
    History here...car is TUNED, RMW...has been basically trouble free for 80,000 miles since new...(about 40,000 on the tune)...
    at one point I thought I had a cat issue when I THOUGH i heard a sound/pitch change....basically looked deeper...found nothing but a couple hangers that were a bit crooked...making it sound a bit different I guess....
    Cats have no obvious defects or signs of distress (externally)...no odd noises, etc...
    other than changing out the sensor for a first try, any ideas?

Did get some cleaner, but not sure it is worth trying..the OEM part is about $80 from emini parts (will have it instock on Wednesday, local pickup..the NAPA part was $140, autozone was 200+:eek6:)....have not yet taken it apart to get at it...looking like it should be pretty easy I guess...looks like remove the intake hard and soft plastic tubes I guess...
    anybody have any tips or suggestions?

2. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    This is a common occurrence with the R53's, failing MAP sensors. I have had both of mine go out within a couple of months of each other. Just replaced the second one about 2 months ago. Mine went 50K before failing. And remember, there are two of these .

3. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Installed....the new part and good to go!! Runs great..smooth...powerful...back to smoking the tires!!
    The folks over at emini parts (mini of Bedford NH) got me the part this am...
    Plugged it it...cleared the code, and all is back to normal!!
    Funny thing is, the OEM was half the cost of the NAPA part....and 1/3 the cost of auto zone part....
    So Nathans threads and info continues to help us in his absense!! Tuff to beat that!!

4. Jan

Jan Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +382 / 0 / -0
    everyone always wants to blame the tune.........lol
    pro tip for everyone STOP BUYING AFTERMARKET PARTS like o2 sensors, coil packs and MAP sensors..........I've had to change so many of these to fix cars

5. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Update....
    Car ran great for a bit....got hot out...issue would return...then be OK on the colder days....
    Did some research....found a link to the BMW/mini tech info on the map/t-maps and how they worked together....determined that is was likely the hot side map/t-map was bad....heck the info listed pretty much described how the car was running/misbehaving perfectly...
    So went to the great folks over at eminiparts.com, ordered the part at their great prices....picked it up (local pickup to me:biggrin5:)..installed it, went for a test drive......car seems to be back to 100% normal...will find out tomorrow if all is perfect!!

6. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I always have a spare pair of those MAP / TMAP and a spare O2 in my toolbox and I even take them to the Dragon for that just incase moment.

Glad you are back to smoking tires again. :devil:

7. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Yep.......my shop now replaces both if one of them fails.

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Zip your MINI is pissed that you put it up for sale. Yep that is true, MINI's have souls you know.

9. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Yeah....well...the more I think about it, the more I think I'm gonna keep it...heck...this has been the ONLY issue performance wise the car has had....everything else has just been proactive mataince to keep stuff running right....
    Best used car you will ever have is the one you own...and this car has been pretty darn good!
    I just can't bring myself to take pictures just to post to sell it...just too good of a car. Figured if I could move it easily and quickly to another "local" member who likes r53's, it would go to a loving home....but heck....nothing bad about keeping it I guess....