Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Most liked posts in thread: P1688 Fun - Or - Yep, Nate broke it again...

1. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps your health insurance would cover this... :postcount

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Don't get me wrong. It was a great day. The drive was a real hoot. The people were mahvalus. The weather was sublime. Sure...the car broke, but even that helped build friendships and could of been a lot worse. My glass is half full.

3. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I can fix that for you Nathan..................

[​IMG]

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Hey Nathan.....
    Just remember....
    It's all about the journey...... :D

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Funny you should ask. I picked up the MINI this morning and the went to visit M/A sponsor Pipercross. BTW, they have quite the facility here just north of Columbus. On the way home the belt got munched. Towed it back and their ordered a belt from NAPA. They will put that on and check pulley alignment.

Good thing I have an understanding boss. And yes. I am still laughing.

6. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    Good luck with that bud... :(

7. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Gotta give ya this Nate, never boring with the Gnatster

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    That's the way I look at too. Never boring.

9. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Hope it's a simple fix.

Mark

10. Vollgas

Vollgas New Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    What a way to spend a day.
    Good luck on repair.

11. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Good to see you haven't lost your sense of humor, yet :arf:
    Maybe you'll get to keep the Spice Orange for a bit :devil:

12. TATTRAT

TATTRAT Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Executive Chef
    NoVA/DC
    Ratings:
    +474 / 0 / -0
    damn. . .I can give quick cliffs for those interested:

$$$

Sorry to hear about all that.

13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    #10 Nathan, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
    The latest update...

The new belt was installed and the car test driven, as I expected this did not fix the issue. The crank damper pulley was checked and is fine shape, unusual for a MINI from TX at this age, then again, the MINI was garage kept and was often not out in the worst of the heat there.

Further diagnosis has found that the intake tube between the throttle body and supercharger may be the issue. The tube pops off the S/C end. There is a built in circlip on the S/C end that has broken. This causes the tube to pop off under boost. of course the clip is not available as a standalone item and one has to purchase the entire hose. Being it is an odd failure there is not one is stock, the dealer is having it overnighted in.

For those keeping score at home it is item #15 below, MINI Part # 17-51-7-541-096. (16 is for auto trans cars)

[​IMG]

Even in my extensive spare parts closet I don't have one of these on hand.

14. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Is there any rhyme or reason to the way they number these pictures? There never seems to be a pattern to what is numbered what, or is there and I don't see it?

Jim

15. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Need to think like a German Parts Engineer :wink:

What I find odd is this parts grouping is under the Radiator section.

16. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    That's because it's a "Ladeluftkühler Heizkörper"....:biggrin5:

17. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    There is a tab on the end of the supercharger intake duct a retaining bolt screws through, however, the symptom of a poor fitting profile gasket or cracked duct is usually a hunting or rough idle. I don't know if you had a spelling error when you said "under boot", if so and meant boost, the supercharger intake duct is under vacuum.

If part# 20 has popped out or is cracked, it can also generate the code you had. The upstream MAP pipe is sealed with an O-ring within a duct boss on the duct, and it's secured by a retaining collet, that may be what you are referring to as a circlip. I've had the pipe break below the sensor before, and keep one on hand, as well as a spare duct & boss fittings.

Long distance diagnosing has it's problems and there's no substitute for hands on. There is always an omitted critical detail.

18. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Fixed the boost vs boot typo.

I'm just going on what the tech is telling me. I can't easily run out there each time they think they found the issue to inspect. I have asked for the old part back and will take a picture of what broke to share.

I did pull up the RealOEM diagram while discussing the matter with the tech and verified the part number. We'll see. I'm not super impressed so far as I've paid for a bypass valve replacement already. Good thing I had one on hand, I hate to pay for new parts that are not needed as a tech tosses parts at a problem. Paying for the the labor was bad enough.

Thanks for your insight Keith...ever think of moving to central Ohio? :D

19. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Here's a photo of the parts in discussion.

[​IMG]

There are two red retainer collets, one for the MAP pipe, and the other for the brake booster pipe, only one is shown. When the supercharger intake duct is removed multiple times, the MAP pipe can get tugged on, stressed, and crack below the cup that fits over the sensor bulb, also, multiple removals increases risk the duct retainer/safety tab will be broken. The collet does a very good job of retaining the pipe, so pulling out under vibration or engine movement would be next to impossible. The green profile gasket on the end is a source of vacuum leaks and oil drips if it doesn't seal well.

The segmented duct at the bottom was used for fluid diameter analysis and thermal testing. A new ceramic coating process allows composites and plastics to be thermal coated. The supercharger intake duct is a good candidate for coating, however, the pipe retaining insert is the weak thermal resistant component. The duct can tolerate the 500 degree ceramic curing process easily, the pipe retaining insert melts after an hour. The insert is secured with metal barbed rings and can't be removed without damaging. Fluid diameter analysis revealed a restriction smaller than the stock throttle body bore.

20. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The daily update....

The new intake tube did not fix the issue. Tech reported that the S/C pulley was wobbling. That was probably the cause of the few strands that were off the old belt. Tech wanted to replace the S/C pulley but I had him pull the bolts out, coat with loctite and put them back in. After doing so he found the Crank Pulley dancing around like a belly dancer on speed.

From the help of Way at Way Motor Works and Aaron at OutMotoring a new ATI Crank Pulley is on the way to the shop as I write this.

While this is not over yet I think we can see the end game here. Helpful in advice and counseling along this journey are the following:

Chad - Detroit Tuned
    Way - Way Motor Works
    Aaron - OutMotoring
    Steve - Custom MINI Shop
    Ryephile
    Cooper & Meg
    Jason
    MetalMan

The support of the local community in helping in out with all this has been great.

Hopefully the next update will have me and my MINI back together and running.