Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S P1688 Fun - Or - Yep, Nate broke it again...

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Nathan, May 31, 2011.

1. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Was it P1668 or P1688? My crank pulley failure threw the latter.

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Umm. Now you are making me wonder if I jotted it down wrong in my notes.

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Daily Update...

This is funny...

While pulling off the Crank Pulley the Pulley Puller broke.

A new one has been ordered for overnight delivery..

I could be screaming, instead I am laughing...

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Nathan I want to drive to Amish country after morning donuts on the 18th. I'm hoping your MINI is mobile by then.

I'm glad you have a good sense of humor. :Thumbsup:

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Daily update...

The Pulley Puller did not show, seems that MINI doesn't have one at any parts depot in the entire US.

They offered me a loaner, came and picked me up. I'm now driving a 2011 Clubman BRG/Black

Someone told me there is an article in Issue 30 of MC2 that has a full write up of how to do the pulley swap and use an ATI one to replace the OEM. I found a copy of the magazine in their showroom, opened it to the article and gave it to the SA. It details what tools are needed, this special MINI tool is not one of them.

I'll follow up with the Service Manager there on Monday, suffice to say this is now a comedy of epic proportions.

6. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Gotta love it when the tech's have to be schooled by the customer. Keep that sense of humor going Nathan. I would have cracked by now. :mad2:

7. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I already did. This thread is really freaking me out and you know what I mean.

Jim

8. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Well this one is freaking me out...
    [​IMG]

And don't tell me it's not you Jim... I can tell.... The yellow gas tank gave you away....:biggrin5:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbY9ePebWB8]YouTube - ‪Easy Rider - Fraternity of Man - Don't Bogart Me‬‏[/ame]

9. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
  10. MINIPucker

MINIPucker New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 24, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What's the latest on this Nathan? While I know it's not funny I have enjoyed reading the happenings that have occurred with the "repairs" that the dealership is doing

11. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Funny you should ask. I picked up the MINI this morning and the went to visit M/A sponsor Pipercross. BTW, they have quite the facility here just north of Columbus. On the way home the belt got munched. Towed it back and their ordered a belt from NAPA. They will put that on and check pulley alignment.

Good thing I have an understanding boss. And yes. I am still laughing.

12. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    First off...I changed the thread title to show the correct code. It was P1688 not P1668, I typoed it in the iPhone notes app.

I have my car back again and I made it all the way home with out drama. When I arrived I did pop the hood and make sure there the belt looked fine, like no strands starting to come off it. I was and well still am a little worried the pulleys are not perfectly aligned. I'll be keeping an eye on it and won't be venturing far from home for a bit till I feel better about all this.

All in all the dealership was great to work worth. I have to give them credit for working with my "slightly modded" R53, a car like mine is not something they often. In some areas they went above and beyond, like in providing me a loaner, not once, but twice. They also let me supply them with parts, some of them being aftermarket as well. Labor wise, they were more than fair and adjusted the book rates to reflect the real time. There were a few things we didn't agree upon but discussion led to compromise on both our parts.

That all being said I will still be looking for a local shop that is little more mod friendly, meaning they have a better idea on the things to look for when one goes outside the MINI box like I have. I'll still use the dealer for some things, but not all.

One thing that I think made all this work was that I kept a good sense of humor throughout this whole adventure. I know they were a little surprised I was able to laugh all this even when there things beyond the control of either of us that made some of this a comedy of errors.

13. MINIPucker

MINIPucker New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 24, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Glad to hear that your got Gnat back and things seem to be working. Hoping that is the last of your troubles for a long time!