R53 P2096 Error Code

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by krushmoto, Sep 24, 2018.

1. krushmoto

krushmoto New Member

May 17, 2015
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hi all,
    I searched for the error code but haven't found anything recent and also had a few questions so I started this thread. Wasn't sure if I should reply to an old thread or start a new one. Forgive me if I'm supposed to just reply to the old thread.
    Anyway I've had a P2096 for the past few months. Checked it on an ODBII scan tool and figured it was the O2 sensor. I replaced both and my mechanic reset the code and it all was fine. I drive away happy. Fast forward I start the car and the light is back. I use my scan tool and it's the same P2096. I check the O2 sensors and bank 1 is bouncing up and down while bank 2 is steady.
    Is bank 1 supposed to bounce up and down at idle? When I give it gas it steady's up.
    Now I read that P2096 is a hard code. How can I tell if it's triggering b/c the fault is still there or b/c the code is still in the computer?
    BTW my inspection is up at the end of the month so I'm suddenly pressed for time! DAMN IT!!!
    Thanks.

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    #2 Dave.0, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    It was your O2 and since those are replaced you need a BMW scan tool to clear the hard code stored in the ROM.

Your local MINI dealership can do it for you for a fee.

A typical scanner / code reader will not do it.

You cou;d also buy the BavTech cable in the link below for $179.00 and connect your car via a Windows laptop with the downloadable BavTech software.

Hint: do not register your VIN to the software and you can use this cable on several cars.

I had this cable and software when I still had a factory ECU and it is an excellent tool and worth the money. I sold it in the Spring when I upgraded to a ViPEC / Link ECU.

http://www.bavariantechnic.com/buy.aspx

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Canusrufis

Canusrufis RMW Powered R53
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 27, 2013
    Male
    Winston Salem NC
    Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    The Bavtech device is the bomb. Well worth it f you plan on keeping the car. And, 2096 code can be from intake or exhaust leak so be prepared to dig a bit more if it comes back once cleared.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List