1st Gen R53 Cooper S Most liked posts in thread: P2096

1. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    well as of this evening my MINI passed emissions. I have yet to do anything to it either. I had a code this morning, so I did a computer reset (through the odometer) then cleared the code. I found a thread on how the drive cycle processes so I figured I would attempt to drive the car in a way that the tests would be able to complete. about half way from home I checked the readiness and it said ready. I figured what the hell lets see if I pass, and it did :Thumbsup:

I have a strange feeling this isn't the last time ill see the P2096 code as I was driving my mini in a very spirited/aggressive manner just to keep the code from coming on, instead of cruising at around 2400rpm in 6th I left it in 5th gear which kept the RPMs up. I am just relieved now though that I will be able to get my registration renewed and if the code persists I have more time to deal with it. I plan on keeping this thread updated as time progresses.

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    This may not help. When I was on the Dragon last year I got this code. Chad from Detroit tuned cleared it for me. I believe he said this happens because of the elevation change. I live in flat lands. You could email him to make sure I remember correctly.
    I know this does the same thing as clearing the code but have you tried disconnecting the battery for more than ten min. This will also allow the ECU to adjust for the gas you have in the tank.
    Good luck.

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Find someone with a BavTech tool and have them clear the code and reset all the adaptive's. I had this same issuer at the dragon and I have the Bavtech tool and cleared them and reset them. All is good now. Elevation and different fuel (no ethanol & race fuel) causes his issue. If you do nothing for a tank of two the code should clear itself when your fuels system gets back to normal.

4. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    If someone has AutoEnginuity with the BMW extensions, they can clear the adaptations also, like with BavTech.

Combination of fuel and altitude changes and the ECU adaptations can definitely make strange things happen.

But at your mileage, you're also about due for O2 sensors. Does that mean they're shot? No, not necessarily. But they DO have a finite reliable life, and they DO get flakier the longer you run them past 100K or so. Not saying this is causing your problem now... but anytime I see any O2-sensor related codes on a car with old sensors, I always consider that they may at least be "contributing" to the issue, if not "causing" it.

Some folks have post-cat O2 simulators to resolve various flaky post-cat issues. I personally replaced my remaining O2 sensor(s) at about 125k miles as a preventative measure, and seem to have fewer codes thrown since I did.

5. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Just wanted to do a final update. I guess I made this thread to soon after I got home. It seems once I got some gas or even just drive time out of the mountains the light continues to stay off. Either that or Broknsmurf is done messing with me cause I passed emissions. I will have to see what this time next year brings.

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
  7. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Nathan I forgot to mention that. I pretty much did a mind dump creating this thread. Guess that detail got lost.

8. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    I briefly spoke with chad at the dragon he suggested not worrying about it. which I am trying to do, I just realized how soon I have to plug up to re up my registration and now I'm slightly worried. I tried doing the reset through the computer (key to on position etc) I guess I could try taking the battery cable off tonight. Perhaps I need to just see what this week brings before going too crazy.

9. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't worry much about it unless it recurs at home.

Still on the original oxygen sensors? How many miles?

10. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    It has happened a couple times now since I have been home. I still have the original sensor in there. I'm about to roll over to 124K

11. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    I'm sooooo glad I dont have to go through inspection where I live. Try undoing the battery. If it is fuel related it can take a couple of tanks of gas to straighten out unless you undo the battery to let it reset. At least thats what I've been told.
    Good luck. I would like to know if you get it fixed.

12. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    I will be sure to update once I see a ready state for my emissions (assuming I can keep the light off that long). I cleared the light from this morning before I went and got lunch, I'm hoping I can make the drive home without seeing it and maybe the gas from this morning solved my problem (could be wishful thinking).

13. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    This is what I'm hoping for Dave, the ride home from work I didn't get the light on so I won't be playing with Broknsmurf tonight. I guess I will just wait it out and see what happens. If this does end up being a fuel/elevation related issue I am curious as to why this year my MINI didn't like it, age/mileage maybe?

14. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    If it ended up being the post o2 I would most likely go the way of a simulator, mainly because I eventually intend to buy a header and go catless. I plan on reving at every prius I drive by so they can hear me undoing their work :wink:

15. AliceCooper

AliceCooper Club Coordinator

Mar 13, 2010
    CT Technologist
    South Florida
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Got this code yesterday, Mini seems to be running fine, just concerns me because it says running lean. I am wondering if its just time for a new sensor I am at about 90k.

16. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I would say yes at 90 k and I would only get the OEM one. You can find them cheaper than the dealer now.:Thumbsup:

17. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    I've been dealing with this code for the past year now, I kinda just don't pay attention to the light anymore. I just replaced both the manifold and cat gaskets as they were obviously leaking, no luck code came back. The odd thing is if I clear the code and drive the car hard.. constantly keep the revs all over the place I can get the ECU to go into ready status (so I know I can get my emissions to pass). If I had to guess the O2 sensor is probably dead, I'm at 136K now on what I think is the original sensor.