Paint Chip Repair

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by lumpy, Mar 15, 2010.

Tags:
  1. lumpy

lumpy New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Marketing Manager - The Cleveland Clinic
    Cleveland, OH
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've searched and found a couple of posts on the subject, but want to know specifically which products are the most recommended by the folks here.

dr colorchip - sounds too good to be true, is it?

langka.com - blob eliminator kind of makes sense, but would careful wetsanding/polishing be better? How is the color match of their paints?

paintscratch.com - this is most recommended source on Subaru boards (my former life) and on a few of the detailing boards.

automotivetouch.com - aerosol could be a PITA.

OEM from dealership - should match color best (in theory)

My Space Blue car should be a joy to touch up! [​IMG] Thanks for any opinions.

2. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    We have this thread going already, there may be some info for you there.
    http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/detailing/2556-chip-fixes.html#post22675

Dr. Color chip. A friend bought some, and had me fix some chips on her car. It seemed like any other system. Nothing special.

I have been using the dealer touch-up paint for years, and it matches perfect, on the colours I have used. BRG, roof white and black, CR, EB.

You could wet sand and get great results. I use Langka because I have so many sample packs from event goody bags:lol:.

We are waiting on KittyMini to tell us about the Langka paint.

Mark

3. lumpy

lumpy New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Cleveland, OH
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. I saw that thread and wasn't sure if it was proper etiquette on this board to add to an existing subject or to post something new and specific.

Every group is different! :smile5:

Paul

4. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    On the detailing forum we try to be specific. This thread and the other one would have been close enough. We also tend to drift around some here, so after about 3 pages this could be about your favorite taco chips:Thumbsup:

Mark

5. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I'm a big fan of the Langka blob eliminator system. Has always worked perfectly for me.

You *could* achieve identical results with wetsanding and polishing... if you have that skillset already. With the langka system you don't have to worry about damaging surrounding paint like you can with wetsanding if you're not careful.

6. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Paul, have you used the Langka paint?

Mark

7. lumpy

lumpy New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Cleveland, OH
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Mark, I'll follow that guideline on future posts. :cool:

I'm actually on the fence with whether I want to touch all of these up or just have the hood resprayed. I hate the thought of having a mismatched body panel though, since it will never be exact.

I guess the worst that can happen is I touch it up, not be happy with the results and then end up having the hood resprayed anyway. Details, details...

8. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Once we get temps here with overnight lows of 60F, I'll be doing my BRG's bonnet.

If I were to consider a re-paint, it will be the whole car, in solid BRG, no flakes. As it should be:D.

Mark

9. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Nope.

In fact, with Cool Blue, paint match is a MAJOR issue. The dupont formula for cool blue (which at least some of the vendors use) isn't even close. I found that the Standox formula is the closest - so I buy that for painting my trim parts and also use it for touch-up.

I have NOT tried OEM cool blue touch-up paint.