Palo Uber light bar kit : unused : $30 (+ shipping)

Discussion in 'Classifieds Archive' started by Steve, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I know, I know, Palo Uber. But look at that price!

PU is one of the most derided names in the MINI aftermarket.....and apparently they earned that derision with.....hold that thought. In the interest of full disclosure I'll come back to it below, I promise. First the listing.

This is an unused, like new, full light bar kit. I bought it new from PU and never even attempted to install it. It's been in the same box since I got it and I only took it out a couple times to inspect and consider installing, and then again today so I could take pics.

Includes:
    Light bar
    Wiring harness
    Switches and switch plate
    Instructions and template​

Partial description lifted from elsewhere:
    This thing looks great and is very sturdy but I've never installed one so I can't confirm its functionality. I've read of people who struggled to install because of lack of instructions and customer support but reported being very happy with the result once they figured it out...and this one comes with 8 pages of instructions in addition to the template and wiring harness diagram.

My pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pics lifted once upon a time from Palo Uber:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, PU are gone now, and apparently for good reason(s). If you don't already know, some of their products were low quality and/or functionally questionable despite claims by the company that they sold only high-end products...with high prices to match. Their rapid rusting wheel lugs seem to be the best example. They also got almost entirely negative reviews for their customer service ranging from poor to non-existent, rude and even abusive. Not to worry, you won't be abused by their customer service people if you try to install this thing since they're non-existent now, literally. :wink: I think you can read the instructions, think your way through and figure it out. But don't expect any after-sale assistance from me because once you look through the instructions you'll know as much as I do.

I've decided I don't need a light bar and I'm ready to clear the space on my shelf. Despite how good this kit looks I know the PU rep and I'm a realist, thus the price: $30 plus actual shipping cost. I know it was expensive when new (one of the many gripes about PU) and since, as I said above, I've read about people who managed to figure out how to install and then reported being happy with it, I think that's a real bargain as long as you're just a bit handy.

As-is, no guarantees. If you want it, you pay actual shipping cost plus $30. If you also want a pair of lights (this bar will hold 4, 2 pairs), check my other listing: http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/mini-related-items-sale/24225-hella-500-driving-light-kit-unused-40-shipping.html#post309375

NOTE to regulars: I'd appreciate it if you don't turn this into a new Palo Uber bashing thread. I can see you sitting there salivating at the opportunity to rehash and bash. We get it, let it go, please. Thank you.

2. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Palo Uber is like Voldemort; the names can be alluded to, but should never spoken....Sorry, can't help it. Besides, asking the "regulars" not to bash reads like an open invitation. It's like expecting a lion to all the sudden swear off meat and become a strict vegetarian.

That being said, the light bar is the one and only thing PU (pun intended since they otherwise stunk) got right; it's gotten a number of positive reviews and does the intended job well. At that price someone who wants that look should snap it up; there really aren't that many alternatives short of fabbing your own.

3. minintrigue

minintrigue Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Banker
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    I've always wanted this bar. PM sent

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009