Panoramic photo

Discussion in 'MINIs on the Dragon 11 (May 1 - 5, 2013) - TN / NC' started by Fun Size, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Fun Size

Fun Size New Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Rock Hill, SC
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    The MOTD panoramic photos I have just have the BMW MINIs in them. I have seen Classic Minis there, but not in the photo. I would like honest opinions about whether a Classic Mini in the photo would be acceptable. I will be bringing one of each this year. I promise I won't be offended if the majority would rather to just keep it all BMW.

2. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    All are welcome............ :beer:beer:beer

3. Stinker

Stinker Active Member

May 16, 2009
    USPS Maintenance Mech
    Smithfield, VA
    Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    I've seen them there the last couple of years, We always welcome them.

4. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    To me a MINI is a Mini. Once either is considered a different breed issues ensue. Please bring your Classic.

5. Snooter

Snooter Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Canton, NC
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    We've had some classics in our photos before and there are always welcome....just wish we could get even more of them to attend.

6. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    The "classic" Mini started it all, so WHY in the name of GOD wouldn't it be welcome today? I had a classic [actually a Morris Mini Minor, 1959,...THE first Mini], back when I was a lot younger. Now that I'm older, I have 2 of the "Bimmer Lites" [aka BMW MINIs]. Besides, if Rover had kept its head above the water in the first place, would we be having this discussion now?

7. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    For the group photo of MITO last year all the pre BMW classics were lined up together in front. I always give a 'tip-of-the-hat' when I encounter one of those old veterans.

8. Mishka

Mishka Badge Whore

May 4, 2009
    Locomotive Engineer
    Southeast Missouri
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I have a panoramic photo from my first MOTD (2007) and there are classics in it. All are welcome!

9. Fun Size

Fun Size New Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Rock Hill, SC
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the responses. MOTD people are the best. I have heard stories from the previous owner of my Classic that not all groups are as welcoming. He called himself Miniligual and passed that on to me. We both now have one of each. I told him he should come to MOTD.

10. Snooter

Snooter Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Canton, NC
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    my experince has been that not all classic owners will welcome the newer BMW MINIs, but us new owners just love the classics. I understand the classic owners logic, but don't agree with it.

11. Fun Size

Fun Size New Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Rock Hill, SC
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Actually, it was a BMW MINI group that didn't want his Classic. He joined a British car club, so it wouldn't matter which car he decided to take (or his wife could take one and he could take the other). Although, I have found a group that is "just" Classics, but say so right up front. My Classic Mini is a bit slower than my BMW MINI, so I can see why some might not want to mix. I won't be taking the Classic on any "spirited" drives.
    I just think they are all fun. :D

12. Mishka

Mishka Badge Whore

May 4, 2009
    Locomotive Engineer
    Southeast Missouri
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Clubs that may not want to have a Classic along on a spirited run are missing some fun! My wife and I hosted our clubs Fall Rallye which had some moderate and spirited sections. One of our members brought his Classic. He wasn't able to keep up during the full run, at each of our stops it was great watching him pull up...and he wasn't that far behind us.

13. IndiCooper

IndiCooper Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Falling Waters, WV
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    the more classics the better!

ive noticed with classic clubs in my area that a lot of the members are not fans of the BMW MINIs and some dont even consider them to be british cars!:nonod: But non the less all the BMW MINIs LOVE the classics:drool, our club welcoms any classic to join and sometimes we even have one leading a run!

i know my lil guy wouldnt be able to keep up with a spirited run (still needs a lotta work:prrr:) but some of the newer classics like my dads and james aka Leaky (who will be at the dragon this year, look for the lil white one:Thumbsup:) are pretty peppy and do really well keeping up!

14. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    The rift between classics and the new MINIs is pretty much one sided. Like Barry said, the classic guys have a major disdain tot he new MINIs and it far worse over in the UK. But I bet 99.9% of us new MINI owners welcome any classic to our runs. I also know a fair amount of classic owners that have a new MINI and they don't seem to have any internal strife going on. So it surely isn't ever classic owner. It's a shame they have those opinions. The Mini/MINI community as a whole would be better off with everyone pulling in the same direction!

15. GreenIguana

GreenIguana New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Hard Rock architect / designer
    Orlando
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Classic minis in some of the ones I have on the wall... ALL IS ONE