Parallel parking a smart car should be easy

Discussion in 'Politics and other "Messy" Stuff' started by Nathan, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Video has NSFW language...you have been warned

Might as well perpendicular park it. No real details except it was shot at happy hour with about 15 people watching. Wonder how long it took before someone decided to whip out the phone and record it.

[ame=http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=097_1326492478]LiveLeak.com - Parallel parking a smart car should be easy[/ame]

2. docv

docv Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 30, 2009
    moble auto paint tech ( PTU )
    Central Missouri
    Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    What a tool, I would say the driver had already been to a Happy Hour somewhere else...:frown2:

3. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    Dude, with the lack of driver training in this country, there are plenty of idiots that couldn't do that stone cold sober. :mad:

4. ronnie948

ronnie948 New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Retired
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I didn't see any problem at all.

After all she did park the car properly.

I'm sure she had a driver's license.

It was a very small parking space to try to squeeze in that smart for two car.

Yep, no problem's at all.

:Thumbsup:

5. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    Do cars that self-park get sold in the US? My impression has always been that there is so little parallel parking that it wouldn't be a big sales feature. My convertible lives on a congested street and is such a pain to manoeuvre in reverse that I would pay quite a bit of money for an option like this on the Mini:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPvRj6aOFAQ]VW Tiguan Self Parking , VW Tiguan estacioando sozinha - YouTube[/ame]

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    There are models with the parking feature available here. The real problem is people are not really trained properly on how to park.

Along with the lack of training is the lack of need. For the most part outside of a city center there are massive parking lots where one does not need to parallel park at all. Even in the cities there are massive parking structures negating the need for on street parking.

7. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I was taught to pull up beside the first car, cut the wheel, then back until its rear bumper came in line with the side vent window and then cut the the other way. Worked great, until they stopped making cars with vent windows. :D

Jim

8. Norm03s

Norm03s New Member

May 5, 2009
    Working at being retired.
    Somewhere in Sykesville. Md.
    Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    @Jim, it still works, trained three of my kids that way.

9. Kikimowse

Kikimowse Active Member

Sep 18, 2010
    California
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    That's the truth! My City, in the last few years, has gone back to re-striping streets and reinstalling diagonal parking. We had meters in downtown for parallel parking that were never used. Now with diagonal parking they are filled constantly adding to the much needed City revenue! It also has the added benefit of slowing traffic down on the older more narrow streets as drivers realize that those backing out may not always see oncoming traffic. Last but not least, we have gone back to one way streets with diagonal parking and bike lanes which has substantially reduced pedestrian accidents as well and made downtown streets more walking and bicycling friendly. In a few years drivers will be describing to the younger crowd just what parallel parking was and those of use that can do it will be giving demos at car shows! :wink:

As for the video, why did they not just pull in nose first? Amazing.