1st Gen R53 Cooper S Most liked posts in thread: Passenger Window not rolling down

1. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Just a hit the door....it will be good for a few more months.

2. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    #10 beken, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
    Sorry for being so late to this thread. But my passenger window failed last week and I just got around to having a look into this. I used the "Fonzie method" and got it working again. So posting it here for others for future reference.

Everything else (driver window, fog lights, DSC switch etc) worked fine so I did some diagnostics, hoping I would not have to buy a new motor.

1) My first thing to check was the fuse box. I pulled Fuse F19 and tested it with my trusty multimeter. It (the fuse) was not fried.

2) I have Ian Cull's auto-up circuit on my car. This provides auto-up windows as well as a garage door opener option on my toggle bank. I pulled the circuit out and tested it. It was fine.

3) Because from time to time, I find coffee spilled on my console, I thought maybe the switch was dirty, but the fog light switches right beside the right window switch worked fine. Also, my auto up circuit also has an option that by double toggling the driver window switch, both windows will go up or down. And the driver window still did not go down so it wasn't the toggle.

4) I did some listening and I did hear the click in the passenger door of the switch that triggers the window motor. So I resorted to doing a google search and found my issue to be fairly common. Before replacing the motor (which likely shouldn't be the problem) somebody recommended pulling the motor commutator from the window motor and simply cleaning it. That was going to take time and small hands since I probably don't have the right tools. But as a temporary fix, there was the "Fonzie method". So I thought I would try that and after a couple of tries IT WORKED!!!!! My passenger side window is working again.

So...the Fonzie Method is:

Turn your keys to the ON position.
    Estimate a location on the door (door panel) by a line from the top speaker to the lower speaker about 3-5 inches above the lower speaker.

Hold down the Toggle switch. With the toggle held down, with your other hand, make a fist, and with the side of your fist, give the door panel a good wack at the location as estimated.

Let go of the toggle switch and try lowering your windows. Repeat if it doesn't work the first time. It took me about 3 tries.

3. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    One thing you can try is to give the door panel a hard hit right above the speaker. This may jar the motor enough to work for a while. It might also give you an indication that it is the motor that needs replacement.

4. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    A couple thoughts.
    1. There is a motor and a lifter (regulator) in the door. It could be either one. I think there is a repair kit available for the lifter.
    Here is a link to a diagram and part list.
    RealOEM.com   BMW R53 Coop.S JCW GP EL.FRONT DOOR WINDOW LIFTING MECHANISM

2. I once had a problem with the switch. I could get it to work by pushing in on the switch when toggling it up or down.

5. ChItalian1027

ChItalian1027 Member

Sep 17, 2012
    IT
    Westfield, IN
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys, I will check it out when I have time. But if I don't have time then I might have to take it to the dealership :(

Also when you close and open the door the window won't go up or down when you open and close the door, so its getting a little annoying but I have time till my next HPDE.

I have an 04 MCS

6. ChItalian1027

ChItalian1027 Member

Sep 17, 2012
    IT
    Westfield, IN
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Well, my dad is going to help me out come memorial day weekend.

Thanks for the help guys!

7. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    ....when your spouse pi$$e$ you off, go out and fix your MINI window motor. Now THAT's good therapy :D

8. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I did the "Fonzie method" to fix someone's car at a meet and they thought I was GOD.

I was like "Nope it's a little know fix that can be found on the interwebs." :Thumbsup:

9. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #3 Jason Montague, May 15, 2013
    Last edited: May 15, 2013
    :cornut: Hearing the motor clicking..............okay it's working but there must be a stripped gear or other reason that the motor isn't lowering the window. Can you take the inside door panel off to see what is and is not happening when you activate the window switch? Also for the real experts that will be along shortly, what year and model of MINI do you have?:Thumbsup:

Jason

10. ChItalian1027

ChItalian1027 Member

Sep 17, 2012
    IT
    Westfield, IN
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I will try that in the coming days.

11. beamer

beamer New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    window not rolling down

I've been there too.
    Most common failure because of the automatic lowering and closing of the window when using the door, is local wear of the collector ring of the motor.
    This default window movement is only small, therefore, the carbon brushes only grind a small section of the collector ring over and over.
    Over time the brushes get caught in the recesses they carved out.
    Only option then is to replace the motor. This can be done without removing the window. You have to remove the door speaker and door padding for access.