PC Pad storage

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Deviant, Oct 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    After using my PC I try to thoroughly clean out the pads. It always seems that the next time I use them though there's some dried flakes that fly out at first, it probably doesn't hurt anything but then again I'm not sure. I had the idea that maybe I should store my pads in the freezer, like painters do when they don't want to clean brushes they'll use for the same color later. I figure freezing them in individual plastic bags and then thawing them out before use may be better than continually cleaning them or getting dried wax buildup on them. I'm just not 100% certain this is a good idea though since the freezing process itself may be bad for the foam.

2. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    But how will your ex-wife feel about sharing the freezer with some foam polishing pads?

3. moreorless

moreorless New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    In a pile of sawdust.
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    "What shall we have for dinner tonight dear? Prima Swirl on a Pad or perhaps Amigo? Mmmmm, dear?"

:ihih:

(sorry to hijack your thread for a moment, but B/C's comment was to good to pass up)

4. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    The beauty of being a bachelor, I can store detailing products in the freezer, car parts in the living room, and wash my wheels in the bathtub. Doing these also filters out the unacceptable candidates for a wife pretty quickly.

5. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
  6. bahahahha. having car parts lying around the house seems like a perfect living environment for me :D

7. moreorless

moreorless New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    In a pile of sawdust.
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Whilst in the Navy (a loooooooooong time ago) we used to roll our MotoCross motorcycles into our rooms in the barracks to disassemble and clean and reassemble for the next race.

Ok back on topic.....where's OctaneGuy when you need him?

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]
    Internal parts storage

9. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    For all of you with parts in your living room: I can make an educated guess on one thing that you don't get.

10. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    That's a spare bedroom type space, door is normally closed when guests are afoot.

11. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Back to the question. I wash, then let my pads air dry overnight, then I store them in zip-lock bags, not in the freezer.

When I use the pad the next time, I give them a good rubbing with my hand before putting them on the machine, this gets any product off them that may still be on them. I give them a light spritz of QD before putting product on them, it helps the pad take on the product being used.

Mark

12. moreorless

moreorless New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    In a pile of sawdust.
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Ah....lotsie weighs in with some sage advice. And it sounds good, so that's what I'm going to do. Never thought to hit 'em with QD before use.

Good stuff.....

13. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    When you 'wash' are you talking in the clothes washer or hand wash with liquid detergent?

14. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    I hand wash the pads, with Dawn, rinse well, lightly squeeze out water, then let air dry, foam side down on a drain rack thingy.

Mark

15. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I threw em' in the washer last detail and they looked a little beat up after. Serviceable still it seems. Think I'll try your route. Probably get a little more longevity

Thanks!

16. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I do the dish-soap/air dry wash method too. I initially tried drying a pad by putting it on the PC and giving it a spin at high-speeds. That results in foam shrapnel flying everywhere.

17. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Unless you need to use a pad right after it is washed, just let it sit till it's dry, less wear and tear on your pads.

Mark