Perhaps the dumbest thing you ever did.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by whaap, Dec 3, 2015.

Tags:
  1. whaap

whaap New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    retired
    Tucson, Arizona
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    I enlisted in the army when I was 18. Before going in I was dating two girls that didn't know about each other. One was the kind of girl your mother warned you about and the other was the kind of girl you would take home to mother. One night during basic I spent a little too much time and money at the 1-2-3 club and was feeling all sad and lonely so I wrote them each a letter. I'm sure you guessed it by now. I put each letter in the wrong envelope. I was indeed a lonely boy when I came home on leave after basic.

2. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    ...sold my '63 BRG Jaguar XK-E roadster for a pittance back in '72. I still experience pangs over that #######, ########### decision.

3. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    The dumbest thing I ever did was when I was an admin on Welcome to type2.com! There was a dispute that I wrote a post in reply to the other admin's. OOOPS, pressed the wrong button and sent it out to the list. I was embarrassed for a loooong time. :) That was over 10 years ago and I still feel it today.

4. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    ONE of the dumbest things I ever did was to sell my 2.5 acre home in the country. If we were still there, I'd have a nice shop and a garage full of all the cars I don't have room to keep.

5. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Sold my Dino Ferrari to fund a move to Colorado......oh well...............you can't live in the past. Every step you took brought you to where you are today.

6. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    I can't think of a darned thing!

Sorry.

7. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    My list.......waaaaayyyyyy to long.

:D

8. Friskie

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    Ah, go ahead. Nathan's got lots of bandwidth. If not, he'll regret it later.

9. Zillon

Zillon Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Central NJ
    Ratings:
    +633 / 0 / -0
    You still have that XK-E, though. :Thumbsup:

10. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    True dat....

I also owned one of these - a 1962 Abarth Nardi 750 built by Vignale......one of a very few, I didn't realize what I had till much after I'd sold it....

[​IMG]

11. BruceK

BruceK Active Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    #11 BruceK, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
    This is certainly not the dumbest thing I ever did, but it was the first thing that popped in my head (I'm sure my brain is protecting me by temporarily hiding bigger, and dumber things I've done).

Situation: I'm 17 years old, I own my first car, a well-used and rusty 1962 Austin Mini. I have not developed any mechanical ability at this point in my life, but that is not going to stop me. I understand that it is necessary to periodically manually adjust the Minis rear drum brakes to account for brake shoe wear (that part is accurate), so that's what I'm going to mess with. I was sure I was ready for the challenge.

So, I grab a Crescent wrench from my Dad's toolbox, figure out how to adjust its jaws, sit on the ground and I reach into the mystery area underneath the car, and feel with my hands behind my Mini's rear wheels for the brake adjuster nut. I find it, and, not knowing much beyond that, I proceed to give it few turns the only way it will let me turn it. I repeat the operation for the other side of the car. Easy peasy, I'm genius and I just fixed my Mini's brakes. Then I go for a drive to see how much better my adjusted brakes work. As I approach a stop sign near my house I decide to brake real hard to test the brakes.

But, instead of stopping the car, the brake pedal goes right to the floor!!! :eek6: I pump the brakes and that does nothing - the brake pedal goes to the floor each time and the Mini is not stopping!!! How can this be happening?! I pull up the handbrake and the car slows slightly, but I fly right past the stop sign through the intersection. Fortunately no other cars were there.

I limp the car several blocks back home as my simple teenage mind tries to figure out what has happened. I am totally stumped - perhaps I turned the adjuster the wrong way? Could that cause that problem? I park the car and go inside, this time to crack open the Haynes manual to try to figure out what I did. Its not until a day or so later that I finally figure out that I had not been turning the brake adjuster nut as I thought (surprise!), but instead had loosened both rear wheel cylinder bleed screws!! So when I hit the brake pedal, I quickly expelled mass quantities of brake fluid onto the road in big squirts - immediately emptying the Mini's simple single-circuit brake system's little master cylinder. What an idiot I was. Not only that, but within a day the brake fluid leaking from the bleed screws had soaked into the rear brake shoes, so I got to do a complete rear brake job due to my stupidity.

It was after that point that I began to read and study the Haynes manual before starting on any work on my Mini. Within a year, when I was 18, my skills and adherence to what the book taught me allowed me to pull the engine from that car, dissemble it and then successfully rebuild it. I guess we all have to start somewhere...

12. Friskie

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    You need to go back in there and edit out all the words 'stupid'. Stupid wouldn't have gotten the book and corrected the immediate problem then gone on to learn a whole lot more. Good write up other than that.

13. Motoring Magic

Motoring Magic New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Dec 13, 2009
    Motoring Magic Owner, Ventura County's ONLY MINI s
    Thousand Oaks, Vta cty, socal
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    Got Married-to the WRONG person

14. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    YOU SOLD A DINO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad2:

15. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Dino_zps5cm3v9yj.gif

16. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    #16 Minidave, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
    It was a long time ago......they weren't half million dollar cars then.....

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    I regret
    selling a few different cars
    buying a few different cars
    staying at a new job when a much better offer came along
    not have the guts to ask a few different girls out

In the end you are where you are and good thing that have happened since wouldn't have happened.

18. minirab

minirab Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Hagerstown, Md.
    Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, me too.

19. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Waited too long for the price of nice air cooled 911's to drop...

But still waiting, so maybe the bubble will pop...:D

20. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    My grandsons who are 16 and 18 right now figure muscle cars will have dropped into their price range about the time they have enough money to buy one, as us old geezers die off and the demand drops too.

I've given up on old Porsches, they're just nuts now. I'm glad I owned and drove the cars I did back when they were (just barely) affordable.......

I'd have kept some of the cool old cars I owned back in the day, I'd be a hundred-aire by now! :D