Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Most liked posts in thread: Phantom LSD reviews ?

1. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Well.......not sure why I do this? but what the heck......I've used one for a few years now, absolutely no issues at all. Now that being said, I don't track or have not autoxed my car since it was installed. Have done a bunch of spirited driving though. Also, Steve, my mechanic has driven my car with it, and prefers the feeling of it over the OEM. Thats all I have.

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yup with a street car you don't need to go all out with track parts if its your DD.

I have more performance then almost every street car but if I went to the track MANY things would need to be updated or deleted.

Update to race brakes and R comp tires.

Delete entire interior and stereo to save weight.

Performance DD street cars are all about compromise and comfort.

I see nothing wrong with the OEM or PG LSD for the street if you don't have an LSD to begin with it is a good upgrade.

3. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    If it was any good people would be telling you...... I think that may be your answer.

Crickets.....crickets.......crickets

4. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    If you are not tracking your car the PG or OEM LSD is fine.
    I am running the OEM LSD since it came installed from the factory and its good for me.

If my clutch or LSD fails I will be going with OS Giken replacements as funds allow.

5. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    So after thinking about this statement for a sec.....:lol:......obviously to anyone that looks at my garage would say, "umm, dude, you already have spent a ton on your street car". So really what I'm saying is, I didn't really want to spend a grand or two, on something I thought the PG could do for way less, not that a could not "justify" spending that on a street car :crazy:

6. AliceCooper

AliceCooper Club Coordinator

Mar 13, 2010
    CT Technologist
    South Florida
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Resurrection here, any opinions on this Phantom Grip?

7. Professor

Professor New Member

May 4, 2009
    BMW / MINI tech
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Personally I would rather find a used OEM LSD on the cheap. Its proven and not even close to the cost of aftermarket. Is it the best, nope but a good value for a DIY person.

8. AliceCooper

AliceCooper Club Coordinator

Mar 13, 2010
    CT Technologist
    South Florida
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Pretty much all the OEM used I am seeing are like $500 which is not that bad I guess. Jiminni I would not worry about getting flamed for posting that it works for you that's exactly what I want to hear, of course anyone with a $1500 LSD is going to downplay the Phantom but it is a product that seems to work well from what I am researching, its affordable and I just wanted to hear from anyone in the Mini world on it positive or negative.

9. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Alice, I know I shouldn't worry.....but you know how things go down sometimes......But back to the PG, I could just not justify spending a grand or a couple grand on a LSD just so I could hook up better on the street. I think it's a good street LSD. My car would break loose in a second before, now hooks up MUCH better, hope this helps.

10. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Don't forget the Ford Focus SVT LSD........fairly cheap