Phil Wicks at Laguna Seca - 11/10

Discussion in 'MidCal MINIs' started by MINIEOR, Sep 21, 2010.

1. MINIEOR

MINIEOR Club Coordinator

Sep 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Wanted to let Mid Cal folks know about a pretty cool track event coming up this fall. This is a chance to drive your Mini on a world class circuit at an event run by one of the best in the business - Phil Wicks Driving Academy. I did my first ever HPDE with Phil Wicks at Laguna and it was AWESOME!! Dropping into the Corkscrew with a train of Minis going flat out is an experience not to be missed!

Here's the marketing copy:

Driving Academy Event
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 (1 day event)
    Laguna Seca
    Monterey, CA

Phil Wicks Driving Academy instruction for Novice, Intermediate, and Expert drivers

* Fees are $350 per person. Drivers participate in their own cars and receive in-car and in-classroom instruction with certified instructors. Fees include Time Trials and on-track Solo I Autocross for qualified drivers.
    * This is the opportunity to learn from Phil Wicks, one of the world's leading experts in motorsports. He has driven, developed, and prepared Mini Coopers for the track for more than 50 years. Phil's activities have included stunt driving the original "Italian Job" movie starring Michael Caine (red Mini) and various British television series utilizing Mini Coopers.
    * Phil has taken his 50+ years experience and developed a curriculum to give you the opportunity to learn the capabilities of your car in a safe environment. The curriculum is graduated to meet the needs of the new MINI Cooper owner that has never been on a track to the most experienced "track day junkie"/racer.

* Included in the day will be the following:

* Phil Wicks Driving Academy for Novice, Intermediate and Expert drivers with in-car and classroom instruction provided for Novice and Intermediate.
    * Solo I Autocross for Intermediate drivers and graduates of Phil Wicks Driving Academy Novice curriculum.
    * North American MINI Cooper Challenge Time Trials Series for winners of Solo I Autocross and licensed racers.
    * Classic Mini Cooper Solo I Autocross and Time Trials.

If you are interested, get in touch with PWDA soon as this will likely fill up fast. You can reach them at [email protected]. Registration form and more details here.

(originally posted by Tazio)

2. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    To All...

I spoke with Phil Wicks this afternoon on the telephone. He very much wants everyone to know that they need interested participants to complete a registration form and either send it back via email or US Mail. He told me there is no need to send the $350.00 payment, as he will maintain a list of those interested and collect for the driving academy at the site.

At this point, there is some concern that they may not have enough outside support from MINI USA as might have been expected, due to their heavy participation in the numerous large events held earlier this past summer. That said, he hopes to be able to continue forward with holding the event as planned. However, it is very expensive to occupy Laguna Seca for the day and the expenses for the day run over $16,000.00. As you might expect, without outside assistance, the number of participants has to be such that they can afford to hold the event as planned.

Everyone is encouraged to contact the Phil Wicks Driving Academy via email @ [email protected], or call them @ 314-330-6449.

Mid-Cal MINI Club members are encouraged to share this information with as many MINI folks as you may know and to contact club members outside the area so they can be aware of the need for participants.

Tina... Can you please forward this info to the Club's mailing list?

Thanks and best regards, Jon. :beer

3. nyricanintx58

nyricanintx58 New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 20, 2010
    Super HouseMan
    St. Pete, Florida
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Does it cost anything to come and watch the event, Tina:cornut:

4. MINIEOR

MINIEOR Club Coordinator

Sep 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Eddie I am not sure. I would email the contact above and ask. I am sure it does I don't see getting into Laguna Seca for free, but you never know!!! If baby wasn't so close I would love to do this! It's just not worth being so far away.

;););)

5. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    General gate fee's usually apply even to watch. 7-15 per person?
    You can call and ask or just expect the admission fee.

6. nyricanintx58

nyricanintx58 New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 20, 2010
    Super HouseMan
    St. Pete, Florida
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    We will check when we get back from San Diego:idea:

7. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    TO ALL...

I received an email from Phil Wicks a couple days ago. The Laguna Seca driving academy scheduled for November 2010 will be postponed due to a lack of participation. He stated that they will look to secure a date for early 2011 and reschedule the event. As more information becomes available, I will share it here.

Take care, Jon. :beer