Most liked posts in thread: Phil Wicks @ VIR Memorial Day 2009!

1. HCClubman

HCClubman New Member

May 8, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I sent in my registration yesterday. I wasn't aware that he didn't have enough people yet. He did not mention that in his email. I'm really going to be angry if he does not have it, especially after he cancelled Summit Point and Watkins Glen.

2. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Well... I'll be disappointed. Angry? Not sure I can be angry at a guy for canceling when less people register than his break-even... but hopefully getting the word out here and elsewhere will get him the numbers he needs.

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    VIR is on my list of before I die tracks. Memorial day is a little to soon for me. Besides, it would have to be a 2day to get me to come up there from TX.

4. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    #5 Steve, May 9, 2009
    Last edited: May 9, 2009
    I went last summer and I'm tempted to go again...

The south course is the right section for MINIs. The track is in great condition (at least it was last summer) and it's 1.65 miles of mixed curves and elevation changes with only one real (almost) straight, plus it includes the famous Oak Tree corner!

I watched the Grand-Am Rolex race that was there a couple weeks ago and even the big boys (DP) had trouble gaining any advantage coming off Oak Tree. I never did get that one quite right... It was really cool watching the DP and GT guys every time they got to the south end of the big track and thinking about how I ran the same sections, especially when they showed in-car views.

I think last summer's Phil Wicks event there was an almost 11 hour day with lots of track time for everyone! That time he filled every slot (I got in because someone dropped out at the last minute) so the track was sort of crowded sometimes. If he has a smaller group this time, you'll see even more track time and less traffic.....

Hmmm, very, very tempting.....

5. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Yeah - the fall session was a much smaller crowd (like it's sure to be this time) and there was plenty of space out there - it was great! Sign up! Sign up! Sign up!

6. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I'm tempted but I can't do it. I have a PS fluid leak to run down and need new front rotors and pads before I can take it out on the track again.....not gonna happen that soon.

Hope you guys have fun.

Anyone thinking about this.....sign up, you'll love it!

7. fastautoxmini

fastautoxmini New Member

May 5, 2009
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What is the cost of the track day?

8. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    From Phil's site:

Phil Wicks Driving Academy tuition for Novice, Intermediate and Expert drivers – alternating classroom and on-track instruction $300 per car
    Solo I Autocross for qualified participants (graduated or graduating students), included in Driving Academy (provisional race license will be issued to participants)
    Winners of Solo I Autocross groups – 8 to 20 participants depending on track length – advance to Time Trials​

9. HCClubman

HCClubman New Member

May 8, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    If you call him (Phil) and talk nice, you can probably get it down to $250. I know he is offering a discount to at least one MINI club. You'll really get a lot of track time.

10. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    This is one of the things that amazed me when I went to his event at VIR last summer. We had something like 80 cars that time (his limit) and we still got so much track time that some people were dropping out before the last sessions(s). If I remember correctly it was 11 hours or so from start to finish!

11. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Yeah - in the fall they had a smaller number of cars and literally one of my hardcore buddies and I were TOO TIRED to run the last session. It was fantastic the amount of track time we got in one day.

12. HCClubman

HCClubman New Member

May 8, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I had heard Phil Wicks was going to have a location at Spring Mountain. The folks at Kappasphere are woking on building out the cars from the scuttlebutt I've heard as well, can't say if it is true or not.

Ahh that link..well so long as you put 2 links to here from there for every link from here to there then all is good... :D