Interior 2nd Gen Pivot Gauge Pods

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by e46tor56, Jan 17, 2013.

Tags:
  1. e46tor56

e46tor56 New Member

Nov 3, 2012
    BMW/MINI Parts Advisor
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    #1 e46tor56, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
    I was browsing on Ebay last night and came acrossed an auction for Pivot Gauges for current model MINIs. So I was wondering if they are worth it and if anyone has experience with this brand? I've been going back and forward between the JCW kit and a Cravenspeed kit.

This kit plugs into the OBD2 plug. Not sure if I like that or not.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

install directions

http://pivotjp.com/download/img/pdf-e/X2-M5-e.pdf

Video
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWs_mMfgiAM"]PIVOT 52X BW on MINI R60 COUNTRYMAN - YouTube[/ame]

2. e46tor56

e46tor56 New Member

Nov 3, 2012
    BMW/MINI Parts Advisor
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Thoughts?

3. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Sorry no help here. Being economically strapped I got ScanGauge II as I really couldn't afford gauges and an oil pressure/temp sender unit and the ScanGauge II reads and cancils codes. I would love to have real gauges but............................................:Thumbsup:

Jason

4. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    I would be curious to know quick the boost gauge reacts being plugged in through the OBD port. I know my scan gauge lags slightly on the boost reading which can be annoying when trying to watch it etc.

5. countryboyshane

countryboyshane New Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Diesel Engineering
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    One thing to check is where they're made. Sorry to sound like a chest thumping American but if it's some Chinese garbage don't expect it to last. I think the exception to gauges/code readers is the Scan Gauge II, which works extremely well and is well accepted within the auto community. I have a similar device from a competing company that reads data over OBDII and here is what I've found over three years:

GOOD:
    -Read/clear OBDII fault codes. Looks like those gauges you showed don't do this. This is a mandatory item to have in your toolbox nowadays.

-Economical solution to using electric or manual gauges with costly installation and the need to purchase multiple gauges. For example, if you bought a handful of Auto Meter gauges and the costs to install them.

-Customize the display to what parameters are important to you. Looks like you're stuck with whatever is printed on those black eBay gauges.

-Back to the cash advantage again. There are a ton of parameters that one gauge like a Scan Guage II can read for ~$150. Coolant temp, boost/vacuum, AFR, fuel trim...etc.

BAD
    -Can't read oil pressure on 2nd generation MINI engines. There is no oil pressure sensor on the engine, just a low/high switch.

-If the gauges are having problems connecting to the OBDII electronic system you don't have any data. My gauge does this from time to time and I really hate it.

If you're don't have a need for pretty round gauges I say get a Scan Gauge II. It's hard to beat for the money. If you want any better and want to mount a lot of gauges you need to spend that same amount of money many times over.

6. e46tor56

e46tor56 New Member

Nov 3, 2012
    BMW/MINI Parts Advisor
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    #6 e46tor56, Jan 17, 2013
    Shane, these are manufactured in Japan.

I have several ODBII sensors. One of them gives me real time data while the car is running. But I just need a boost and coolant temp gauges.

7. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #7 Jason Montague, Jan 17, 2013
    :cornut: Mine's imediate and in technical terms I mean; 'Right Friggin Now.' 08 BRG R56 MCS/JCWm. None of the readings lag for that matter.

Jason

8. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    #8 iwashmycar, Jan 17, 2013
    The pods seem OK since they hug the tach. The plastic Alta pods were complete trash being plastic, but these shouldnt droop down only being held in with one screw each.

EDIT: HOLY CHIT those are $$$$$.

EDIT AGAIN: Much cheaper and look better...and probably more accurate!

http://www.marshallinstruments.com/catalog/mini_cooper_gauges.cfm

Couple them with some Craven pods and good to go!

EDIT ONCE MORE: I see the Craven kit IS the above... Wonder if it is less $$ to get the gauges right from Marshall....

9. e46tor56

e46tor56 New Member

Nov 3, 2012
    BMW/MINI Parts Advisor
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0

Adam, those marshall gauge look awesome!