1st Gen R53 Cooper S Placing Mini Cooper in "Service Mode"...looking for pair of OEM "Bolt" tools....

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by clifforddward, Dec 18, 2013.

1. clifforddward

clifforddward Active Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Cary, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    #1 clifforddward, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
    Hey Folks!

Hopefully someone here can help me out...When placing the Mini Cooper in "Service Mode" to gain access to the engine, there are two bolt like tools that are used to hold the front end of the car away from the engine...In fact most folks use standard bolts for this application...but at one time these two special "bolts" were available from Mini as an OEM item...They are a bit unique as they had an unthreaded section and a step at the end if memory serves correctly. I'm also fairly sure they were different lengths. I checked a couple of part numbers I had but these don't appear to be available from Mini any longer...

I am looking for pair of these OEM "Bolt" tools so that I can duplicate them...I have a machine shop and can easily make these exactly the same, I just need an original set to copy. If anyone here on the forum has a set they could loan me I'd only need them for one day to make measurements, and in exchange for letting me borrow to make the measurements I'll provide a free set of the copies I make up.

I know lots of folks have made up alternative devices that work perfectly...but since I'm trying to make a product I can provide to others, I'd like to start with measurements of an original OEM set if possible.

If I can find a set to copy I'll make them available at a reasonable price to the members of the forum...

Can anybody help?

Cliff Ward
    Cary, North Carolina

[email protected]

2. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    You might want to contact some of the shops that are members here....Detroit Tuned, Way Motor Werks...etc.

3. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    I screwed in some long bolts, pulled the front section out (into service mode), and clamped on a small set of Vice-Grips to keep the front end fully extended.

4. jdpowerski

jdpowerski New Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Cliff, Sorry I don't have those slider bolts otherwise I'd bring them over. I'm in N. Raleigh with our '08 Clubman S. I tried to put my mini in service mode last evening so I could do several gasket and hose replacements. Are those slider bolts absolutely required? I have followed the "How to" steps on this forum for preparing for service mode and also consulted the Bentley Publishers video on Youtube - MINI Cooper (R55, R56, R57) 2007-2011 - Radiator support service position placement DIY - how to, but I can't get the front end to budge forward. Double checked all the fasteners, hoses and connectors. Everything looks free to move, but it seems the crush tubes are wedged onto the frame. We had two people pulling forward while shifting side to side and it still would not come lose. I must ask the forum, is there a trick to this? Seems to be real stubborn not to move.

Thanks,
    Jono

5. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    The crush tubes are held in by 4 bolts from the bottom. One of mine pulled out after I smacked it with the palm of my hand. The other one needed to be smacked around a little with a rubber mallet while pulling on it. It might help to spray a little PB Blaster on it to free it up.

6. clifforddward

clifforddward Active Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Cary, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Sorry Jono, can't help you much on getting your Mini into service mode...with all the work I'm preparing for (head replacement, S/C service, many related belts, gaskets, and bits), I'm leaning toward going ahead and pulling the whole front off rather than just placing in service mode. I do plan to make up some service mode bolt pieces for use down the road on simpler jobs as it is a simple lathe job....but priority has moved out since I won't need them immediately.