Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Plug wires

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by S curvz, May 2, 2011.

Tags:
  1. S curvz

S curvz Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I am looking to replace my plug wires as part of my tune up. I currently have the fireblade wires. When I changed over to these from stock I didn't notice any difference in performance. I was curious if I should get OEM, another set of fireblades or another brand all together. Also, what is the recommend change interval for the coil pack?

Thanks

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    OEM work just fine even on heavily modded engines. For a bit of color other brands such as Kingsbourne work well too. There is no need to get any sort of expensive super fancy brand of wires.

I have no idea on the coil pack as I've never had an OEM one go bad, only an MSD one.

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    As Nathan says & I wholeheartedly agree stock wires are fine. Nothing wrong with the fancy ones if you want a bit of engine bay bling. Replace the coil when it carps out. If it works fine now save your money.

4. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    +1 on what Nathan said about wires. I only switched to aftermarket wires because I wanted red wires instead of black.
    The only issue I know of with the OEM coil is that sometimes the contacts corrode.

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    When you change out the wires clean the contacts on the coil pack if needed & put some dielectric silicone grease on.

6. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    That damn number three coil contact still corroded on me even with the dielectric grease on it and cleaning it regularly. That's why I replaced it with the MSD one. So far no problems......

Been running the Kingbourne wires since the coil change out cause I wanted the colors to match.......:D

7. S curvz

S curvz Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys. Gonna try and stop by my favorite local supply shop for factory wires. I have blingy ones now, they get lost as it is.