Most liked posts in thread: Poor DE Etiquette?

1. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    any particular part we should watch vs. 5min worth? I'm OCD with a 5sec attention span

2. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    At my last HPDE, the instructor put a tip jar on my dash - is that proper etiquette?

3. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    It also looked to me like the driver should have been in a higher group, but yea not a lot of courtesy out there.

4. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0

:idea:

Now that's a quote ! ! !

5. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Or some drivers in a lower group.....

the fact that a couple of the cars wouldn't know an apex if it hit them in the head is a good tip that they aren't too "mirror aware". some times the drivers just have no clue. Maybe a bit of a conversation after the session would enlighten them. Maybe not.

Also, I didn't see any corner workers with the blue with yellow strip flag. What's the deal with that?

Matt

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Keep in mind that this was a wet track and part of it is a bit older and well polished on the dry line hence some of the less than optimal appearing lines.

7. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Agree completely the S2K driver was not being very courteous. Dude, use your mirrors. What happened to the corner workers, shouldn't there be some flags thrown on the play?

8. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    If I am thinking about this correctly (I was in a different run group), this is the blue group (mostly solo drivers) after 2 days of heavy rain. The drivers are in the process of "testing" the dry line, transitioning from the wet line. As far as the corner workers are concerned, this was the last session after standing around in the rain for 2 days. They were getting a little "slow" with the passing flags.

9. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    If it was blue group...

it's even more inexcusable, as these drivers are supposed to be experienced. If there's a line of cars behind you, get the eff out of the way! Seems pretty simple to me.

Matt

10. Bilbo Baggins

Bilbo Baggins New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Arborist
    Shire, Middle Earth
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sometimes if there is a long train, with no pass-bys being given, I'll pull into the hot pits and wait for them to get further ahead and then go out and chase them down again. MAybe not as much fun as passing everyone but still better than being in a train.

11. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    #12 cct1, Sep 18, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2009

Blue flags? Did you say blue flags? They're more trouble than they're worth in my run groups, at least for me. I'll always let someone quicker past without hesitation, even try to anticipate it way before I see a blue flag to give the driver a good place and point by to pass, usually get it set up way before a blue flag.

But I see blue flags all the time....after I've passed someone, who's pointed me by, in a car a corner worker presumes is faster than mine.
    Usually after a few sessions it gets itself sorted out and they're not so quick to pull the flag out, but it's frustrating for the morning sessions....

And the converse, I can be on the tail of a car for a few laps before a corner worker will finally pull the flag for the poor ol' MINI to pass....

Although it's gotten quite a bit better as I've moved up the food chain, there are a few folks out there on the track that'll pretty much do anything not to be passed by a MINI.

12. Bilbo Baggins

Bilbo Baggins New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Arborist
    Shire, Middle Earth
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's a testosterone thing. Where as the guys in the big bright red Corvettes are obviously compensating for something, maybe allot of things, we MINI drivers are obviously not compensating for anything!:smilewinkgrin: Just out there having fun passing everything in sight.

13. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Some tracks are different than others. When I run at VIR, the corner workers are quick with the passing flag. Other tracks in the area aren't as aggressive with the blue/orange stripe - and noticeably so.

14. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thunderhill and Infineon

have pretty good corner workers who are good with the flags. I've never had a problem with a corner worker, but I've had tons of events with with drivers that weren't that considerate.

Matt

15. howsoonisnow1985

howsoonisnow1985 New Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Inmate
    Santa Cruz County Jail
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Got frustrated just looking at video

16. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Ok, so at my last HPDE I got a yellow caution flag, slowed down a touch as the next turn was a blind over hill, off camber, super late apex that the mustangs had been spinning on all day. As I tapped the brakes late (per usual for me) I got flipped off by the Corvette driver behind me. I was livid. No I'm not the fastest car out there, but you can F-ing back off if you think late braking is an affront to your manhood. I hate Corvette drivers and their cars are ugly too.:mad5: There, now I feel better!
    Oh, and I was told I point by too often and stop driving like a girl. Which I did :devil:

17. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Who were running HPDE with and what group? In NASA I've never seen anyone chewed out for giving point bys..... Now if you were just a moving chicane I would think the officials and or instructors might have a conversation with you to see if there was something wrong and/or put someone in the car with you to help.....

18. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I have a video taken from my JCW -I was behind a Corvette - I ran the whole session behind this guy - on the straights he would pull away from me and then I'd ride his ass all the rest of the way around the track till we hit the long straight again. It was so frustrating!

When I did an NASA event at the Glen last October I felt like I spent the whole session with my arm out the window pointing people by!

So, I've been on both sides of the fence....

19. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    For whatever reason, it seems like 99% of Corvette and late model Mustang drivers just have no idea how to stick their left arms out the window. Doesn't matter where you are, that kind of driver just gravitates to that kind of car. It's like their ego is so fragile that they can't stand the idea of giving a point to a car with less than half the horsepower.

It happens at every track, and before MINIs, it was the Miatas, Integras, and E30's that suffered before us. You're gonna run into a few pricks on and off the track.

20. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I will give the driver 2 or 3 corners to do the right thing and let me by. If that doesn't work, I start to ratchet up the aggression level. First I start with riding 2 feet off their bumper, then I will start coming along side half a car length coming into and out of the brake zones. Eventually one of us gets black flagged or they give it up.

I'm not saying that it's right... but it definitely works. :)