1st Gen R53 Cooper S Poor RMW Tune Experience

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by wnplt, Apr 28, 2012.

1. wnplt

wnplt New Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #1 wnplt, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
    Hi everyone I just wanted to post a heads up on my poor RMW tune experience. I first contacted Jan about a possible tune in March for my 2005 Mini Cooper S that I was currently doing mods on and wanted to top it off with a RMH tune since there were so many positive posts about Jan at RMW. Once I started finishing my mods are started to get some pinging and Jan assured me he could correct that in my tune. My tune was to be without a dyno and we would tune until we got it right. He told me he doesn’t charge for multiple tunes like others and that I would have access to some canned tunes through login information on his website. I was excited to finally get my pinging stopped and my car tuned by RMH.

I spoke with Jan multiple times and went a head and ordered the remote tool and tune. I downloaded the existing ECU and sent it to Jan and had the 1st mod sent to me immediately. I uploaded the 1st tune and still had pinging and a 900 RPM, stock map was at 750 RPM. He asked for some additional information about at what point it pings and he sent me mod 2 which helped the ping quite a bit but with still a 900 RPM issue. He then sent me Mod 3 which fixed the idle back to 750 and fixed the pinging problem but then the car lacked power badly. Shortly after the last mod was sent I had fixed my pinging completely with octane boost and let him know that immediately. I went back to Mod 2 that was pinging slightly before but now was completely gone. I also tested the pinging problem with the original mini ecu map and still no pinging what used to ping a lot. I then went back to my Mod 2 which was the best of all three but still had the 900 RPM problem but would be satisfied as long as he fixed the idle issue and gave me normal timing.

I emailed Jan to request a fix to Mod 2 and if possible, I wanted to try a JCW equivalent canned tune as well. I never heard back, so I emailed a few more times, still nothing. I then started a series of phone calls and still nothing. I emailed and emailed and absolutely nothing. I wondered if he was just busy and hadn’t got back to me but this had been going on for almost a month, not even a quick reply. I then left a final voicemail and sent an email regarding a PayPal dispute. I filed a dispute with PayPal and so he should have received the notification from PayPal. Still no response. Obviously he is avoiding me and probably thinks he spent enough time on me even after he said we would tune until it’s right. All I really wanted is my Mod 2 adjusted slightly(Idle speed fixed and removing the backing of the timing, since I no longer ping) and I would be satisfied. I’m now escalating my PayPal dispute to a claim to recover the cost of the tune. I don’t want to trash Jan because I know he’s popular on the forums and others have had very good luck with him. I just don’t want to pay for an incomplete tune. I sent him adequate notice of my intent to file a PayPal dispute and share my experience on the forums so others don't have to have the same experience. Still haven’t heard from him but wasn’t surprised.

My Final Email to Jan:

Jan,

It's obvious you have blown me off after sending a dozen emails and multiple voice mails on your phone. I have no idea why you left me hanging with my tune? I came to you because of all the good recommendations on the forums and was pleased with the initial process of tune, I felt we were getting somewhere with my pinging problem. When I first contacted you, you told me I would be able to try canned tunes with login information on your website. I never got access to those. You also told me unlike other tuners we would keep tuning until we got it right at no extra charge. Well, I still don't have it right. I told you shortly after the last mod I fixed my pinging with ocatane boost and wanted to try a stock JCW canned tune and most importantly I wanted my Mod 2 idle fixed since I now idle at 900 RPM. I have not heard from you at all, not even a quick little email response. At this point I will be starting a dispute with paypal for a full refund and will be posting my RMW experience on the mini forums. This has been going on for weeks and so far I'm not impressed. Good thing I didn't book a Dyno My car would still be there waiting for you. I understand you are busy but this is getting ridiculous.

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Welcome to M/A...

That is an interesting 3rd post. I'll sit back & see what develops. :popcorn:

3. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to M/A...... What he said ..... ^^^^

4. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Interesting third post indeed!!!! Kinda makes you wonder what the true intent is....just sayin'

5. AliceCooper

AliceCooper Club Coordinator

Mar 13, 2010
    CT Technologist
    South Florida
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Well...lets see what pans out here:popcorn:

6. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Welcome to M/A....:D
    Not related to the RMW tune experience, but maybe related to your pinging issue.....

Read the part about 2.0 Fuel System Cleaner Plus: "Combustion Chamber".... Just wondering if you have a carbon buildup issue inside the cylinders. The octane additive and changes to the tune might be masking the problem???? If it is carbon buildup related, a tune may not remove the carbon and may not fix the ping.....

Just considering another angle to your problem....

http://www.bmw-planet.com/lib/Operating%20Fluids%20-%20Fuel%20System.pdf

7. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    My father told me the nice folks at the Buick service department told him that pinging was the sound of gas mileage. So there you have it, gas mileage my friends goes ping...

Edit..... Techron is my friend. :Thumbsup:

8. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    I'm sure that there is another side to this story at the very least....

9. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I like how my 2nd post was removed.....?

10. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Posts that do nothing to move the conversation in a forward manner and only serve to be fanboy like have been unapproved until normal access is available and the can judged on their merit.

So yeah, untill I get back to a pc they are unapproved.

We can discuss in person later in the week if desired.

11. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Ok cool, see you at Fontana Nathan.

I too look forward to discussing the "we / them" issue also.

Back on topic, I love my RMW tune and have no problem working with or getting in contact with Jan. I find the OP's post very odd.

12. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    :beer interesting..

Just saying......................

Thumper

13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Let's keep in mind that every vendor selling any product, not only in the MINI realm, is going to have an issue with a customer at some point in time. No one or group is perfect. It is how a vendor handles that issue is what makes or breaks them in the long run.

There is no need for fans and detractors of a vendor to pile in with platitudes, attacks of the OP nor hits against the vendor.

We all need to sit back and see how this plays out please. Also, Internet time is short, but real time is not. With this being a week where the players in this little drama may be traveling and be without reliable means of communication outside of our little Dragon world we all need to be patient.

14. SMOG

SMOG ZOOOOOMMMM
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 28, 2009
    Retired, twice...
    Port Orchard, Washington
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Well said!

15. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I did offer help...replace aftermarket coil and plug wires. See my post on the NAM.

But the facts are when you Hp tune a car little things show up that you did not notice before.

Just like adding any polly bushings to you motor, you are going to get MVH and hear things rattle that never made a sound before.

If you have nothing to offer to help the guy out stay on the sidelines.

16. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Advice added.....

Yet again another car that is modded until it is not what the owner wants. This seems to be a trend. I know lots of guys want to get all they can from their car, but with that can come problems one has to work through. You either accept that or don't go that far in your quest for performance.

My advice to the OP is return to a less aggressive setup & enjoy your MINI.

I truly hope I made your day a little better by helping & somehow improved this thread before it crashes & burns.

:popcorn:

17. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    What part of...

There is no need for fans and detractors of a vendor to pile in with platitudes, attacks of the OP nor hits against the vendor.

...was not understood.

Its a beautiful day at Fontana, I have better things to than watch this thread all day.

18. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Nate.. have you ever visited the camp ground at NIGHT?? Big bon fires and beer drinking!! Well worth the short hop out of Fontana.. LOL unless it is 'Ways Margareta Nite"

Just saying.............................

Thumper

19. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    With regards to any, "tooner", your tuner better have a good solid mechanical background, as tuning a car will not remove mechanical problems, but only intensify problems even more! Not sure if the OP's problems are mechanical related, or we're intensified by a tune? But it's also the tuners responsibility to warn potential customers that mechanical problems should be completely removed before tuning. Hope the OP gets his car sorted, as the whole point is to go out and have fun driving his car :Thumbsup:

20. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    #20 Dave.0, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
    I would like to add if you are having your car tuned remotely buy any tuner it is the car owners responsibility to make sure the car is mechanically sound before you get your car tuned. If you are not qualified to do so Pay someone that is.

Just like it is your responsibility to maintain your car so it passes State Inspection and Emissions. ( if your State requires either or both, PA requires both Yearly) If your car fails either test it is you that has to have the car fixed. Also the State test are Pass or Fail you still pay.

I have read many posts on multiple fourms and heard many times from Jan's own mouth the list of things that need to be checked or sorted before anyone gets any car tuned. For example but not limited to, he recommends the obvious such as a new belt or belts depending on car, fresh plugs if you still have your day one plugs that came with your car the day you picked it up, a clean air filter, fresh oil change if you are close to having it changed, and the list goes on. Also the fuel you run everyday. Don't run 89 daily and pull up on tune day with full tank of 93 and 3 bottles of octain boost in your tank just to get a high number and then go back to 89. That will not work with your 93 tune.

I personally and others have add many more things like checking fuel pressure and compression test just because I am very OCD about my car and I want everything in tip top shape all the time. That's also why I change my oil every 3k, oil is cheap, rebuilds are not.

All these things are the car owners responsibility NOT the tuners, especially when being remotely tuned.

You don't need to be an ASE certified mechanic to tune cars but you did need to know how the modern day car not old Hot Rods work with ECUs. Common sense and daily maintainance will make most modern day cars last a long time and when you modify your car and commit big bucks you have to maintain it and expect higher maintenance levels. This is a self chosen path and and each person must commit to themselves. If anyone cannot do this they should never mod a car from the beginning.

P.S. the word "tooner" was a joke that you did not get.