1st Gen R53 Cooper S Most liked posts in thread: Poor RMW Tune Experience

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Posts that do nothing to move the conversation in a forward manner and only serve to be fanboy like have been unapproved until normal access is available and the can judged on their merit.

So yeah, untill I get back to a pc they are unapproved.

We can discuss in person later in the week if desired.

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Let's keep in mind that every vendor selling any product, not only in the MINI realm, is going to have an issue with a customer at some point in time. No one or group is perfect. It is how a vendor handles that issue is what makes or breaks them in the long run.

There is no need for fans and detractors of a vendor to pile in with platitudes, attacks of the OP nor hits against the vendor.

We all need to sit back and see how this plays out please. Also, Internet time is short, but real time is not. With this being a week where the players in this little drama may be traveling and be without reliable means of communication outside of our little Dragon world we all need to be patient.

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Advice added.....

Yet again another car that is modded until it is not what the owner wants. This seems to be a trend. I know lots of guys want to get all they can from their car, but with that can come problems one has to work through. You either accept that or don't go that far in your quest for performance.

My advice to the OP is return to a less aggressive setup & enjoy your MINI.

I truly hope I made your day a little better by helping & somehow improved this thread before it crashes & burns.

:popcorn:

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    #20 Dave.0, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
    I would like to add if you are having your car tuned remotely buy any tuner it is the car owners responsibility to make sure the car is mechanically sound before you get your car tuned. If you are not qualified to do so Pay someone that is.

Just like it is your responsibility to maintain your car so it passes State Inspection and Emissions. ( if your State requires either or both, PA requires both Yearly) If your car fails either test it is you that has to have the car fixed. Also the State test are Pass or Fail you still pay.

I have read many posts on multiple fourms and heard many times from Jan's own mouth the list of things that need to be checked or sorted before anyone gets any car tuned. For example but not limited to, he recommends the obvious such as a new belt or belts depending on car, fresh plugs if you still have your day one plugs that came with your car the day you picked it up, a clean air filter, fresh oil change if you are close to having it changed, and the list goes on. Also the fuel you run everyday. Don't run 89 daily and pull up on tune day with full tank of 93 and 3 bottles of octain boost in your tank just to get a high number and then go back to 89. That will not work with your 93 tune.

I personally and others have add many more things like checking fuel pressure and compression test just because I am very OCD about my car and I want everything in tip top shape all the time. That's also why I change my oil every 3k, oil is cheap, rebuilds are not.

All these things are the car owners responsibility NOT the tuners, especially when being remotely tuned.

You don't need to be an ASE certified mechanic to tune cars but you did need to know how the modern day car not old Hot Rods work with ECUs. Common sense and daily maintainance will make most modern day cars last a long time and when you modify your car and commit big bucks you have to maintain it and expect higher maintenance levels. This is a self chosen path and and each person must commit to themselves. If anyone cannot do this they should never mod a car from the beginning.

P.S. the word "tooner" was a joke that you did not get.

5. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Welcome to M/A...

That is an interesting 3rd post. I'll sit back & see what develops. :popcorn:

6. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to M/A...... What he said ..... ^^^^

7. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Interesting third post indeed!!!! Kinda makes you wonder what the true intent is....just sayin'

8. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    My father told me the nice folks at the Buick service department told him that pinging was the sound of gas mileage. So there you have it, gas mileage my friends goes ping...

Edit..... Techron is my friend. :Thumbsup:

9. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    What part of...

There is no need for fans and detractors of a vendor to pile in with platitudes, attacks of the OP nor hits against the vendor.

...was not understood.

Its a beautiful day at Fontana, I have better things to than watch this thread all day.

10. 90intherain

90intherain New Member

Sep 17, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well said Dave. You don't take a long road trip without checking the oil. The car needs to go back to stock and the mods added one at a time to eliminate errors. It's like expecting someone to fix your idle issue when you forget to plug the harness back into the throttle body. Yes, I've done it so I can say it. No one is perfect at this.

11. ronnie948

ronnie948 New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Retired
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I'm sure Jan will get your tune perfect

He probably went to the Dragon and when he gets back you will be his first priority.

One thing I have learned well over the years is do not ever deal with something that will take time with any event coming up. Not only Mini tuners but the Corvette tuners as well as the Ford Focus/ Mustang tuners.

These people that own these company's are in love with their car lifestyle and they go to the events. It is important for them to attend stuff if they want to stay in business. They need to be there and I'm sure they love to go. It is rare like in your case that you had a problem that could not be solved before the event. It happens. It will be taken care of and I'm sure you will end up happy like 99% of Jan's other tuner customers.
    :Thumbsup:

12. BoostCzaR53

BoostCzaR53 New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    NC
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My 2 cents here is to invest in an open access style tuning setup, remote tunes do nothing for individual steady state loading of a vehicle to fine tune ignition timing cell by cell as well as fuel cell by cell.

Spend thousands on go fast parts, but only mere pennies on getting them to work together properly. (Not saying this is what the OP did). It is very important that you must have a good condition, well maintained setup if you are to receive remote tunes because they are likely basing their info off of that platform assuming all is well!

13. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I figure the OP is locked away in his garage madly wrenching all the excess go fast parts off his MINI trying to follow my advice. :wink:

14. AliceCooper

AliceCooper Club Coordinator

Mar 13, 2010
    CT Technologist
    South Florida
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Well...lets see what pans out here:popcorn:

15. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Welcome to M/A....:D
    Not related to the RMW tune experience, but maybe related to your pinging issue.....

Read the part about 2.0 Fuel System Cleaner Plus: "Combustion Chamber".... Just wondering if you have a carbon buildup issue inside the cylinders. The octane additive and changes to the tune might be masking the problem???? If it is carbon buildup related, a tune may not remove the carbon and may not fix the ping.....

Just considering another angle to your problem....

http://www.bmw-planet.com/lib/Operating%20Fluids%20-%20Fuel%20System.pdf

16. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    I'm sure that there is another side to this story at the very least....

17. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I like how my 2nd post was removed.....?

18. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Ok cool, see you at Fontana Nathan.

I too look forward to discussing the "we / them" issue also.

Back on topic, I love my RMW tune and have no problem working with or getting in contact with Jan. I find the OP's post very odd.

19. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    :beer interesting..

Just saying......................

Thumper

20. SMOG

SMOG ZOOOOOMMMM
    Lifetime Supporter