Porsche 1600 Convertible

Discussion in 'Project Car Builds, Projects, Experiments' started by Rixter, Sep 12, 2016.

1. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    #21 caseydog, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    Since it is air cooled, you don't have to worry about antifreeze. If the oil is good now, it will be fine in the spring. As for gasoline, top off the tank to cut down on condensation, and some Stabil fuel stabilizer can't hurt.

I would take the battery out if you are not going to drive it over the winter, and put it someplace climate controlled. That is what I've always done with my boats.

If you must keep it in a carport with a cover, try to put something between the car cover and canvas top to allow air to circulate. I used to use small beach balls under my boat cover. Keep the tires fully inflated, so they don't flat-spot too bad.

A few moth balls inside on the floor helps with critter problems. Look under the car for rodent droppings on a regular basis, and if you see any, take action right away. Mice and rats can do a lot of damage.

CD

2. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    ^^^^ All what CD said and perhaps a trickle charger to keep the battery in condition if you do not take it out. That way you can crank the motor and take it out for a spin if the salt is not to bad!

Enjoy it.

Don

3. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    That is AWESOME information. Would a gas line antifreeze also help with reducing moisture?

Thanks guys! :)

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Ric I'm late here. Very sorry for the loss of your Dad. He is still with you & always will be.

Ok on to car stuff.

Fill the gas tank & add Sta-bil 360. It will keep the gas fresh & keep the tanks from rusting internally.
    https://www.goldeagle.com/product/sta-bil-360-performance

Gas line antifreeze is for getting a car with a frozen fuel line started. It's not a preventive thing.

If you decide not to pull the battery buy a battery tender & leave it hooked up. With a trickle charger you can overcharge the battery. The tender will float on & off as needed.
    http://www.batterytender.com/

5. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Crashton!