1st Gen R53 Most liked posts in thread: Ported head alternative and possible 1.8 Tritec

1. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    He doesn't exactly have a build thread, just posts the occasional pic on Facebook...….He bought a subframe kit and has welded it up and got the motor mounts sorted at this point, still has a LOOOOONNNNNGGGGGG ways to go!

2. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Interesting that Fiat bought the Chrysler engine plant, because Chrysler and Fiat merged only 3 years later....in 2014.

3. Jeff10049

Jeff10049 Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Male
    Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    cool I have often wondered about the interchangeability of the various tritec engines and the latest e torq variant. That engine has roots back to the slant 6. I wonder what the export 1.6 neons might share with mini.
    Or what about the U.S. neons they were timing belt not chain but I wonder if the 3.98" stroke cranks could be modified some combo of rods pistons etc to make a stroked mini probably highly unlikely but would be fun to have the parts sitting there and play around with.

4. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    wow, MCS02 the engine you listed has 146K on it!

You built a hot rod X1/9? My son is in the process of installing a Honda K24 in his right now.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Thanks.. Yes, the 81 mm Steel sleeved, Blueprinted Forged Piston H-beamed Short Blocks are out there now. We use the super strong and thin Steel Sleeves. JE Pistons and K-1 Rods. New Performance Silicon-Aluminum Bearings, Block is Decked, Crankshaft is Mic'd and then Polished. Could be the Future. 1.8 Kits and build 004.JPG

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Whine not Walnuts

Whine not Walnuts Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    waitin for my check
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +338 / 0 / -0
    Bing Crosby was in a movie based on Twain's "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" and there was a part in the movie where I am pretty sure he used a Farmer's Almanac to get out a tight spot. Relative to my "front brake upgrade" I did not use an Almanac but I did use more than 40 years of construction experience that included understanding engineering related to steel. I also reached out to a friend that happened to be an engineer. He was not just some recent college grad working for a company making snow plow parts that happened to head up the College Race Car build or even a well known parts seller both of which are not licensed engineers. My friend is a licensed structural engineer that owns a consulting firm and like me has years of experience. If you know the difference between tension and shear along with PEMDAS you can do our own calculations and then render an educated opinion.

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    So you have failed yet again and now are having guy from Poland trying to use a Fiat block and head.

I will say your commitment to failure hysterical. I love reading the post on FB with you and Coleslaw your Polish engineer. lol

I can take screenshots also.//:D

1D4CB351-7E34-46DF-93DA-0DBC68F86A8F.jpeg

8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Ok I am slow I know that so I read it twice. I am not really sure what your doing. So you are going to put a R53 crank in the Fiat block and run the Fiat head because you believe it flows better? What is the valve size on the fiat head compared to the MINI? Is this to save money also?
    You said that you found a short block for a little as $1250 US that does not include shipping. Allmeg has a long block for $1199.99

https://www.allmagautoparts.com/collections/mini-cooper/products/mini-cooper-s-engine-supercharged-146k-miles-1-6l-2002-2008-r52-r53

If you want a cheap big valve head find a good local machine shop that works on drag cars. They can build you one. When I did the big valve head on my X 1/9 the only place you could buy a big valve head wanted a lot on money for them. The guy that did all the drag cars in this area heard me talking about it and found the valves that were the same size. He charged me a little more than the price of reworking the head.

At this stage I will probably just buy a RMW head or chose your flavor.

Hope you don't think I am being argumentative because I am not. I am curious and would like to hear more.

9. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    It was long ago. somewhere around 82. I have heard about people doing the Honda conversion. I would love to do that. If he has a build thread going anywhere I would like to see it.

I listed that engine because if he is going to put a new crank in the Fiat block you can get this head and all and rebuild it. Seems to me like you're not saving money on the Fiat. But I am not sure I know what he is trying to do.

10. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    That guy is an absolute train wreck........

11. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Why not use the stock 1.6 block, bore it 81 mm , sleeve it, get some pistons and rods, Head/cam and intake.. blower or turbo and have fun??
    This is a hobby with most of us , and all the info we can gather is a good thing. As the W11 is getting older there are more bits/engines available , making for more deeper mods. Whine not Walnuts is passing good info. And Over seas has been doing weird things longer... lol, yes?

12. Whine not Walnuts

Whine not Walnuts Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    waitin for my check
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +338 / 0 / -0
    The Polish guy did get one Fiat head completed for a R53 and a woman in the UK bought it. He turned out to be a bust but there is a real alternative to the Fiat 1.8 and its a ductile iron sleeved Tritec that was put together by Thumper Performance and an engine shop that built engines for Don Garlits. I have one in my R53.

SAM_2192.JPG

13. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    :Vomit::Vomit::Vomit::Vomit:

14. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    :Wtf::Wtf::Nailbiting::Nailbiting::Nailbiting::Nailbiting::Whistling::Whistling::Whistling::Whistling::Whistling:
    LOL who cares what you like. This guy is building and doing his modifications and showing what he is doing.Not just BS everyone .. or just :Vomit:, to every one other than your opinion !

15. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    #15 Crashton, Sep 17, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    Oh boy, you have been gone for a while & things seemed go smoothly. You are back for a day & the BS starts. No need to reply I understand you don't care what other people think. Have a swell day. :Whistling:

16. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    LOL.. I guess I could just sit back and let the 'Other BS' just roll with their crap. I think we all have ideas and should be able to post with out the TROLLS chiming in with nothing but BS . Yes I have been gone for a while because of just this thing.. SPSTFU ! Today is different, the short comments and avatars showing dumb answers should be called out.... show their experience and then Help the poster, dont show your ass and expect most to just sit tight and not respond. 'Merica !

17. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I don't understand this Scott, who is this aimed at and why?

18. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Aimed at Whine...........this whole thread is useless. And based on his front brake upgrade, I would never trust any of his claims or build quality.