Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Ported throttle bodies

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by 00zero, Apr 13, 2012.

1. 00zero

00zero New Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Engineer
    Pittsburgh. Pa
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    #1 00zero, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
    Does anyone in the states still sell ported throttle bodies? I know M7 and Helix used to.

I was pondering one for better throttle response on a stock tune and Kavs MS says they are good for more mid range.

The combo wouldn't be bad for the right price. Can anyone confirm any of the claims?

-Jonathan

2. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Enlarging the throttle body bore will not hasten throttle response and will not increase mid-range power.

The diameter of a section past the vacuum ports on the supercharger intake duct is smaller than OEM throttle body bore size, this limits air mass per time unit before the supercharger, regardless of bore diameter upstream.

[​IMG]

Keep in mind when the shape of a bore/tube is altered, its fluid diameter changes. Elliptical shapes flow less volume than round tubes for the same perimeter measurement. The ID profile of the supercharger intake duct is very irregular, and changes shape continuously throughout, this compounds reduced volume affect.

3. maxmini

maxmini New Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Something along the lines of this combined with a ported TB makes a nice change for the better as far as throttle responce goes . As was mentioned earlier the stock tube has some severe restrictions .

Randy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Nice metalwork Randy.....:D

5. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Something like that might be along soon again :fingerscrossed: :ihih:

6. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Neither larger diameter SC input duct, or larger throttle body, or the two combined will provide improved throttle response. Air volume increase pre-supercharger with these enlarged components is the same percentage whether at idle or pedal on the floor. The info the ECM is processing is key, a tune can be an agent for faster response, or at least a Sprint Booster acting directly on the pedal signal.

As for mid-range performance, the head can only pump so much air volume at a given rpm, to increase performance for that rpm there must be more oxygen density contained in the same volume (or another efficiency enhancement in the combustion process), we overdrive the supercharger to increase density.

7. miles_miles7

miles_miles7 New Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    that metal pipe looks good. any chance that this pipe ever go back in market?

8. maxmini

maxmini New Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    That was a component of the AGS V3 which was discontinued a few years ago . Custom Mini Shop was given the OK to duplicate it but I do not know what the status of that project is .

Randy

9. Tüls

Tüls New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    The sky
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Wow, blast from the past.

10. maxmini

maxmini New Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Aren't we all :)

Been a long time my friend.

Randy

11. Tüls

Tüls New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    The sky
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
  12. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Hello.......:Thumbsup:

13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Now I came into the MINI thing after the AGS was out of production but I did read about it quite a bit. Correct me if I am wrong here but was not one of the issues with the unit being that made of metal it would heat soak?

If one was to come back on the market would it not be best if the unit was made of or coated with a material that prevented heat soak?

14. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Steve never has had a problem with it, heat soak. This kinda goes back to the "metal" CAI intake box discussions, where some said that the metal would heat soak and the other said that the air just flows to quickly to pick up that heat. The actual issue was that they are hard to produce, being cost effective and fitting it in the car. Hopefully Steve has this figured out :Thumbsup: Because.....I WANT ONE :lol: The sound this thing makes is incredible!

15. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Not the same, the air box is not located between the back of the radiator and the front of the block.

16. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Yea I know where it's located, that why I said "kinda" :cool:

17. maxmini

maxmini New Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Thermal coating would not hurt but for the very brief time the air in contained within that short tube it is a non issue. If I ever take mine out I might get it heat treated as the DFIC is and see if it makes a difference .

Randy

18. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    Do ported throttle bodies make enough of a difference? Why is it that aftermarket throttle bodies never caught on? I seem to recall that they tend to cause CELs (especially in 05+), which suggests that it makes the ECU try to counteract it.

19. Tüls

Tüls New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    The sky
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I think the main reason they never got popular was it didn't make a big enough difference. Especially for the price. And with the control we have over the ecu now, we can adjust tip in for better response.

20. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    We want to see the dyno results Randy :wink: