Porter Cable 7424 XP

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by moreorless, Sep 30, 2009.

Tags:
  1. moreorless

moreorless New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    In a pile of sawdust.
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    My kids just gave me a brand spanking new PC 7424XP with a 5 inch flexible backing plate, and 4 Lake Country CCS 6.5 inch pads (yellow, orange, white and blue) and both a 5 inch and 6 inch counterweight!

Wow! Was I surprised (and pleased)! And just in time before winter sets in.

I seriously cannot wait to use it. However, I think I need to do some homework first.

I've clayed and polished and waxed in the past with the last two being done completely by hand. So now I need to understand the dynamics of this tool and then look at what products to use in what order and with what colored pad.

My MINI and my sons Z3 paint is in good condition but we both have several light scratches that I hope we can get out with the PC.

Mrs. Moreorless's Black 4Runner needs the PC badly. Then there's the two pickup trucks and the Sequoia and Rav as well as the Olds. Hope the Mustang sells quick! Then there's the 4 bicycles, and the John Deere, mmmmmm and the wheelbarrow......snowplow......generator.....tool box.....dog......

2. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Check out showcardetailing.com

3. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Great gift!!!

What product lines have you been using for polish/wax? I suggest going with the Prima line of products, they work great with the pads you have.

The main thing to remember with the Porter Cable is that it is very hard to screw up, which is a good thing, and makes it easy to learn how to use. I would "practice" on something from your rolling stock that needs the most work, so you can get a feel for the machine, and does not intimidate you from learning what wonderful results you can get.

Mark

4. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    As I mentioned on the other forum

Congrats on the new PC. Take a look at my detailing articles.

http://www.motoringalliance.com/library/detailing-articles-11/

Especially Choosing the Right System for You

I also have a fan page setup on FaceBook. I post frequent updates about bad paint and things I see during my travels as well as recent details and video clips.
    Login | Facebook

[​IMG]

http://www.showcarsupplies.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?search=yes&bc=no

You won't find a better way to learn the PC than watching us show you step by step how we polish out a car from beginning to end. It always makes me laugh when I see someone demoing the PC and their polishes and doesn't show the end results. That is...they put the polish on, make several quick passes, and then show different cars all polished out.

"the proof is in the pudding"

Richard

5. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I highly recommend Richard's articles. I've used his tips for the PC for some stunning results

I too use the Prima line. Not the only but damn fine stuff

Good luck!

6. moreorless

moreorless New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    In a pile of sawdust.
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Mark,

I've been using Meguiar's Deep Crystal stuff. Cleaner (step 1), Polish (step 2) and then the NXT Techwax. All by hand. But I'm just about out of Cleaner and have just run out of Polish. So the PC timing is right.

All of our vehicles are dark: MINI = BRG, Z3 = Topaz Blue, 4Runner = Black, etc........

In your experience, is there a product line that works better on darker colors?

(heheh.....I still remember the picture of your JAC with the front covered in bugs)

.....Les

7. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I'm not Mark, but the question about a "product line" working best for darker colors really isn't the question you should be asking.

Understanding what makes darker colors look their best is much more important than relying on a "particular brand". (Yes there are product lines that claim to be designed for dark colors, etc..)

Producing the richest color from your paint on modern clear coat systems involves polishing the clearcoat paint to remove scratches and swirls that would normally cause the paint to look lighter or faded.

Then applying a "wax" that enhances that richness, i.e. a carnauba or a synthetic with carnauba like properties will provide the best combination of richness and gloss.

The Meguiar's DC line uses a chemical paint cleaner that won't be effective by machine, since it's the abrading action of diminishing abrasives that polishes the paint, not the gentle "melting/softening" that chemical paint cleaners do to your paint.

Original Unpolished Paint
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Richard

8. moreorless

moreorless New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    In a pile of sawdust.
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Richard,

i wasn't planning on using the Mequiar's Deep Crystal stuff any longer as I didn't think it would work with the PC as you just confirmed.

The photo's you share are a testament to the value of a properly used tool as well as to your skills in using it.

To Marks point, I'll probably start on the black 4Runner and save the dog for last. (Alaskan Malamutes can have large teeth.)

I like "home grown" products and Chuck says your Black Wow is the best there is, so I'll swing over to your site and check things out.

Thanks again for your inputs.

...Les

9. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My car is darker colored and I use the Prima system for wax. I'm very happy with it and really like how adding Banana Gloss on top of the Epic really gives a deep shine to it. I've used it on other dark colored cars and it gives a noticeable difference. From my understanding the Carnuba waxes have a slight yellow tint to them that leads to the effect so you wouldn't want to use them on some lighter cars, especially white, but on darker cars it's profound.

10. moreorless

moreorless New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    In a pile of sawdust.
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Richard,

Thanks for your time as we chatted about PCs, products and pads. I look forward to receiving your products and I might even do the "split the hood with tape" test on the 4Runner before I approach the MINI. I'll see if Mrs. Moreorless will take some pics.

....Les

11. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    You're welcome Moreorless! They all fit into the Priority Mail Flat Rate box as I suspected. It will go out on Monday and you should have it by Wednesday.

Call me anytime, especially when you start polishing. Although it's hard to mess up, it's easy to give up in frustration due to not getting the results you expect. :lol:

Have a look at my writeups on my SCD site under HIRE OCTANEGUY..for pictorials on how I tape things!

Richard

12. moreorless

moreorless New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    In a pile of sawdust.
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Well! Swirl, Amigo and Epic arrived today!! Monday!! I know what I'll be doing tomorrow.

....Les

13. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Les, looking forward to seeing the 4Runner. We've got a black 2002 4Runner and it's NEVER been waxed. What's more, it's been washed with my lovely wife's less than desirable washing techniques. And of course it's never been dried after a wash. Water spots galore!

I think even Richard would find it challenging :lol:

Ric

14. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    #14 Octaneguy, Oct 5, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
    Haha cool! It arrived a little sooner than I said. :D Thanks!!

Guess I better charge the credit card now, lol.
    Richard

15. moreorless

moreorless New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    In a pile of sawdust.
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Oh, you really don't have to if you don't want to! :nonod:

16. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Les,

How'd the PC on the 4Runner go? Any pix? :popcorn:

17. moreorless

moreorless New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    In a pile of sawdust.
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Ha!

It's been 50 degrees and mostly rainy since I got it! We'll have to wait until spring as the garage is not heated, but the woodshop is.

18. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Epic takes a lot longer to dry at that temp, I turned up the speed on my PC when it got that cold last month while I was waxing. But it can be done.

19. Boxcars

Boxcars New Member

May 27, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    not trying to hijack the thread
    just a slight deviation.....
    if light buffing is the goal , would a battery buffer ( sears 19V)
    work for small jobs, what pads are suggested
    thanks
    boxcars

20. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I had a cheapy Walmart buffer (corded) before I got the PC. It worked fine for buffing after a coat of wax but it was useless for any polishing of any sort. I'd suspect a battery power would give you a little less 'buff-ability' than my old Walmart one.

If you have one sure, I wouldn't waste the money and buy a new one of these. Save your money for a full blown PC