Porter Cable 7424 XP

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by moreorless, Sep 30, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I agree, there's a lot of buffers and stuff out there pretty cheap but you really seem to get what you pay for a lot of time and if you get to the level of OCD detailing some of us achieve you'll tire of the battery running down on you or just wear it out completely. The PC, especially with Octaneguy's One-Grip upgrade is so easy to use and not terribly expensive as power-tools go

2. moreorless

moreorless New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    In a pile of sawdust.
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    5 months later.......

It has finally warmed up enough to work in the garage and try out the new PC 7424 XP. Yeah!!!

Decided to do the MINI first. During the winter, while parked at a shopping center, someone had decided to set something on the hood of the MINI and when they removed it they drug it across the hood leaving 7 very deep scratches.

And then, also, someone decided my passenger door needed two abrasions.

So, first it got washed. Then clay barred.

Then the fun began. Figured I'd work on the hood (re. scratches) first.

Swirl on a yellow pad. Worked it in until only a haze remained, starting at speed 4 working up to speed 5+ (but not 6). Wiped it off. Scratches still there.

Ok.

Swirl on a yellow pad. Worked it in until only a haze remained, starting at speed 4 working up to speed 5+ (but not 6). Wiped it off. Scratches still......hey wait a minute!! Are they somewhat diminished? Why, they sure are.

Several passes later and the hood was perfect!! (Well, there's this one scratch that I can still see if I look for it just right.) Anyways, swirl and yellow pad the rest of the car. Oh, and those two passenger door abrasions?

Gone.

Along with the scratches on the landing at the base of the hatch.

Next, Amigo on a white pad. Fairly uneventful.

Lastly, Epic on a soft cloth. This is where I was a bit adrift. I really didn't rub it in, kinda wiped it on. Let it dry for about an hour then just wiped it off.

The car is smooth. I think that was the clay.

The car shines. I think that was the Swirl and Amigo.

The car looks kinda like it's wet. I think that's the Epic. I'm not used to this result. I've been a carnauba wax guy for ever. But this looks amazing.

The roof has a factory British flag. So I went ahead and did the whole series on the roof. The reds were a bit faded and the blues were a bit dull. But not anymore. It looks amazing.

I think I'll do another Epic in a couple of days.

Did I mention the entire car looks amazing.

These Prima products are amazing products.

Ok. Now where's that 4Runner...........

3. Elwood

Elwood New Member

May 5, 2009
    Colorado
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I love reading posts like this!

Congratulations! The sense of satisfaction is SO worth the effort! I look forward to hearing how the 4Runner comes out!

What's really fun is that you continue to get better and faster as you gain more experience and read posts from the guys that really are experts. I would also recommend attending detailing clinics if you can, because you always pick up something cool that helps somehow.

Enjoy!

4. moreorless

moreorless New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    In a pile of sawdust.
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Ok....here's a couple of pics......

Hood before.........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hood after..........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And side.......

[​IMG]

Gotta tell ya....Octane Guy and Prima and Porter Cable are a potent trio.

...Les

5. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Gotta love what a good polish and Epic do for dark colors... I looooooove wet, deep reflections, too. :Thumbsup:

6. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Great job:Thumbsup: Like Paul says, dark colours look great with a polish and coat of Epic, and as some of us know, BRG looks the best:cornut::p

Mark

7. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Fantastic results!!!! Great job Les!

Richard

8. moreorless

moreorless New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    In a pile of sawdust.
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys.

I do need clarification on the application of Epic.

Do I hand wipe it on (which is what I did).

Do I rub it in/on?

Do I use the PC with a blue pad?

What say you?

9. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I usually apply by hand with a MF applicator using a circular motion

Let dry depending on temperature

Take off with PC and a black pad (I know diff mfg have diff colors to mean diff 'grits') Black pads from Prima are their softest.

Buff anything remaining with MF towel and enjoy the shine!

10. M^Cubed

M^Cubed Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    and see.. I'm backwards! I'll apply with the black and buff off by hand HA HA

11. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    To me there is no better way to put on Epic than by using a black pad...squirt some Epic on the paint with one hand, and buff it on the paint with the other hand using the PC and OneGrip. I can fully wax a car with Epic in 10 minutes with a super thin and even coat that dries fast.

Normally we put the Epic on the pad then buff that on, and that's fine..but when I'm at the end of an 18 hour detail, putting it on the paint and spreading it out with the PC is faster and easier, and I can keep applying without slowing down or stopping.

I remove Epic by hand using a Monster Fluffy. When it's dry it just glides right off. Especially if you have Amigo underneath it...it comes off very easily.

Richard

12. moreorless

moreorless New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    In a pile of sawdust.
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Excellent. Thanks OG. Folks are looking at he MINI and are amazed at how the paint looks. I encourage them to touch it, which further amazes them.

My 72 hour between applications period expires tomorrow evening. So I'll be applying Epic again with the PC.

Should my PC speed be around 4 or lower?

Thanks,

Les

13. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    That's great! Its very encouraging!

PC around 3 or 4 is good.

Richard