1st Gen 100K+ Possible Answers

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Justa Jim, Aug 17, 2011.

Tags:
  1. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Issue 31 of MC2 magazine had an article on Oil Change Intervals. Here is the link:
    MC2 Magazine - ISS 31
    The writer, Matt Richter, discussed the subject with Blackstone Labs.
    The bottom line was 10,000 to 12000 miles.

2. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    Tough call on the oil changes as your mileage may vary.

I usually change my oil regardless of mileage every 6 months on my other cars that use dinosaur oil, and at least once a year for cars with synthetic oil. It may not be a problem with the oil, but the oil filter might be getting pretty clogged up.

However, last year, I neglected to calculate my 10 state roadtrip which added 7000 miles to my normal year's driving. When I brought my car in for its oil change, the dealer thought I must have recently changed the oil in my car as the oil condition still looked pretty new. I do believe I topped up a quart at least once or twice during the year, but did not expect the oil test to be "like new".

As for the question on oiled air filters, I have a K&N filter on my other 26 year old car. It's unrestored and recently, I just drove it 700 miles to and from a Show n shine in which it won its class. So I would say, unless you over oil your filter, it should not damage your MAF sensor. Run it on the highway for a decently long time every now and your car should be fine.

3. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Use synthetic oil and change every 4-5 thousand miles and or before and after a track weekend.

Have run for years and still run the oiled K&N filters in everything I drive with zero problems to the MAF sensor.

2cents

Now were is the dang beer? :)

4. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Every 5000 miles for an oil change, not sure how many beers that is, I clean my Way/DDM intake every 10,000 miles, but not with beer.

Oh, and I've ran my justa up to bounce since day 1:Thumbsup:

Mark

5. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
  6. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Ben. That was a good read, though I am certain that there are some who will disagree. I know that you had Mark "track" regularly, so that could make a difference in your case.

As an interesting side note, mine was set for the 15K mark last time, but I started to drive my car a bit more aggressively, due to recent mods. I had written down what the mileage would be at 15K and the indicator counted down 2K before I reached that number. It would seem that it does take things into account.

Jim

7. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Many moons ago, before dirt was invented and Poco was still an infant, when it came time for the first service, his actual mileage was almost 3k more than the counter. But back then we motored as much in a day as we do in a week now. I already had changed the oil twice by that time, on my dime.

Mark

8. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Changing oil too frequently can be damaging also. New oil is acidic, later in its used life it becomes more base, and later still a swing back to acidic, some engine components will wear quicker in acidic oil states. Most of the less expensive oil analysis omit TBN tests, and only show wear metals, other insolubles, and viscosity. While limited analysis is better than sticking your head in the sand relying on myth and conjecture, a more in-depth test including TAN and TBN measurements will provide a more accurate picture of how long to stretch the oil change interval.

An example of conjecture, one person reports long drain intervals in a car with 300,000 miles on the OD in eight years without damage the person is aware of. Another person has 100,000 miles of service in the same eight year period and assumes extending the drain period is OK for their car based on the 300k report. The higher mileage car would have fewer start & stops and shorter oil exposure time per distance interval. The example doesn't address environmental conditions, tune state, ring condition, the amount of oil added during the intervals, applied load, and many other factors.

9. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Never knew new oil was acidic..... Interesting....

10. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Good to know, thanks for that info.

Mark

11. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Is this for both regular and synthetic oils?

12. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    So everyone's talkin about oil....what about the filter? We have seen some very bad lookin filters that come in with 15+ miles on them :eek6: When my wife had her 05 BMW 330ci and they would change every 15k....brought it to the CMS and we changed it our self's......the filter was cooked :eek6: I go 5k on our MINI's.