How do I Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen S Most liked posts in thread: Possible Fix for Carbon Issue on 2nd Gen MINI S and JCW?

1. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    ^^^ This.....
    Doesn't fix the problem, just delays it.....
    It basically turns your IC into a very effective OCC that you can't manually drain.... Unless you consider that it self drains into the intake and still ends up coating the valves. This basically converts the PCV system on the N14 engine to operate the same as the N18..... You really need to capture the oil fumes not just reroute it...

2. miles_miles7

miles_miles7 New Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    MINI MON,

Do you have a pic of valves after treatment of sea foam. I'm interested on this because i'm thinking of buying a R56. Thank you.

3. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    In reality, there is no silver bullet out there that can "fix" the carbon build-up on its own.

Seafoam will never be the optimum solution for removing existing intake deposits. That said, there's sufficient evidence in the forums over the years showing that when Seafoam is used regularly, routinely, properly, and (most importantly) starting very early in the life of the engine, it can help minimize the deposits and/or slow their formation. There's also sufficient online evidence to suggest that once the carbon deposits have manifested themselves to a particularly onerous state of affairs, Seafoam isn't very effective at eradicating those deposits and manual intervention is almost always necessary.

Likewise, an OCC helps but again can never be 100% efficient at condensing all of the crankcase vapors and atomized oil droplets out of the intake air flow. The best it can do is slow the rate of formation of the carbon deposits. Despite the amount of goo one drains from their can, it is most certainly only a fraction of the total that passed through it. Some is bound to end up in your intercooler, intake manifold, on your valves, and in the combustion chambers.

This is especially true for the N18 engines with their internal PCV components, as crankcase gases only pass through the typical N18-installed OCC when the intake manifold is under boost conditions and, unless you're constantly on a track, most of the time the manifold is operating under a vacuum. Anyone with a boost gauge can confirm this. I had an OCC installed on my '11 MCS for over a year and in that entire time I never collected more than an inch total depth of effluents in the can. Does that mean I regret buying and installing it? Not at all. Every little bit helps, and I figured the extra insurance was worth the price even though I knew it wouldn't work at all like the N14 configuration with the boost tap plug. (My OCC has since been removed, but only because I'm parting out in anticipation of a sale/trade.)

I figure the best approach is to take every mitigating approach that is available to you (careful break-in period, Seafoam, OCC, frequent oil changes, etc.) and start it all very early in the game. :wink:

4. texasmontego

texasmontego New Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
  5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Looks interesting but I thought hey were going to recommend using Walnut oil.:lol::devil::lol:

6. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    Seems like this performs the same function as the BSH boost tap plug. Also, this would only appear to work with N14 MINI engines as the N18 doesn't have a PCV return hose above the intake manifold.

7. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Went with the BSH and Defenders of Speed solution for feeding the Seafoam as needed.

This looks simple but if it was that simple, it would have been part of the original engineering. IMO.

Don

8. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Very well and the dual tap is used for the feed valve. First usage got some smoke and a little bit of off power for the first 5 miles.

Once the carbon bits were blown out, all is well. I suspected I was pretty carbon free since most of my 43K at the time of install were long trips, high speed (fast) twisty runs and track time.

I ran a Jan tune for over 2 years, might have to put it back on I miss the 122 down the HPR main straight into corner 4. Without tune best I can do is 111. :wink:

Just been babying the MINI with suspension mods these past few months, time to get my track on. :devil:

Don

9. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: I agree:Thumbsup: Jason

:cornut:Original engineering(N14) was WRONG hence the fix(N18).:Thumbsup: Jason (SEAFOAM.....SEAFOAM......SEAFOAM)

:cornut: No no MM. One puts a BSH/DOS OCC BETWEEN! the internal throttle body in the head and the turbo intake hose/turbo/ inter cooler. OCC catches all of that carp.:Thumbsup: Jason

:cornut: I agree 100%. N14 + (BSH/DOS Dual Tap AND OCC And Seafoam)= clean intake valves. At least, with this set up, mine were 'clean as a whistle' when I actually saw them during head gasket change @~48kmi and no MM, I don't have photos but it DID happen.:Thumbsup:

Jason

10. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    ^^^ still didn't happen without dem picks.... Rabid Rumors is all it is.....

11. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut::wink::biggrin5::prrr::wink2:sleep::rolleyes::popcorn::lol::Thumbsup:

Jason

12. Mini'mon

Mini'mon New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    MINI Performance Parts Designer
    San Francisco, CA
    Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    We have an improved version of the kit that Don has on his car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We know that the Seafoam fogger treatment is working and carbon is being cleaned-off based on two real world results: 1. Tester and early adopter reports (individual and MINI dealership techs) of improved fuel economy (+3 to +7 MPG) and 2. Consistent reports of improved throttle response/power after Seafoam treatment on MINIs with heavy carbon buildup. :Thumbsup:

-Clint

13. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    My thinking is, if Seafoam was used regularly, from purchase of the car, it might not get it all, but should cut down on the build up. At the least, it would be doing something and it can't hurt.

Is there one of those kits for a 1012 CM? If so, I will buy one.

Jim

14. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    If there is a 1012 Countryman then my friend you have the proverbial pregnant man in your garage. That's some find there Jim :biggrin5:

15. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #25 Jason Montague, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
    :cornut: Don't forget the BSH OCC/BSH dual port by pass valve. Our own Defenders of Speed have the BSH OCC/BSH dual port by pass valve on sale, at least that's where I got mine.:Thumbsup:

Jason

16. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    ^^I agree. The "ounce of prevention" approach is sometimes the best you can do and better then doing nothing. :Thumbsup:

Jim

17. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    #29 Metalman, Oct 24, 2012
    I like that my engine is makin all this carbon for free.....

I'm gonna harvest it.... Flatten it.... And glue it on my MINI....

Because RACE CAR....:D

It's talking to me......:prrr:

I'm stickin with ground up rodent food..... The best way to deal with this issue IMO.... AND IT'S BIO-DEGRADABLE.....

Ya'll can keep your Seamist, gasoline magnets, and Turbolators.... It's good to feed the economy.....:Thumbsup:

18. Mini'mon

Mini'mon New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    MINI Performance Parts Designer
    San Francisco, CA
    Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Yup, I agree. Just added "Take some nice 'after' pictures of N14 intake valves after a Seafoam fogging." to the schedule. R60 CAI production prep is dominating our schedule at present, but I'll make sure we get to those pics in-between that madness.

In the meantime, if there's anyone near San Francisco, CA that has carbon buildup and wants a free Seafoam fogging in exchange for pics of their intake valves, let me know.

-Clint

19. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #32 Jason Montague, Oct 24, 2012
    :cornut: One gets Seafoam residual on the intake valves not the piston domes when done correctly(N14 engine). On this engine to clean the injectors and cylinders/pistons; one puts the Seafoam in the gas tank where the gas/Seafoam goes gas tank/gas line/fuel pump/gas line/injectors/cylinder. This DIRECT INJECTION engine sprays gas(and Seafom) into the cylinder never touching the intake valves. To clean/treat the intake valves one(engine at operating temp[220degrees F], RPMs at 1,000)sprays the Seafoam Mist via Seafoams New Kit directly into the post inter cooler pressurized air and then imediately shuts down the engine x30min allowing the Seafoam to work on the intake valve deposits. Then 30min later, spirited 30min drive and one's done for 3kmi. For some 30kmi now,and without the new 'mist kit', I have put the mist directly into the intake(engine running and same criteria as above)pre turbo and post air cleaner/BSH OCC/BSH dual port by pass. At 1krpm,the turbo has never been injured and at operating temp(sitting in drive way, engine at 220F, ambient air 90F,gauge indicated intake air temp 120F, the temp of the compressed air in the inter cooler) the mist passes right through the turbo(slow 1krpm being atomized even more) to the inter cooler( 120F well above the evaporation point[and still atomized] so no collection of Seafoam in the inter cooler) through the high pressure intake line to the intake valves. With the mist in, the engine is shut down to allow it to work on the intake valve carbon deposits x 30min prior to the 30min spirited run. This proceedure repeated every 3-6kmi and the BSH OCC/BSH dual port by pass reducing engine inhaled blow by. The fact that we have to do all of this because of the poorly designed PCV system in the N14 is a moot point. It is a poor design there fore we have to perform this proceedure OR rip the head off and spray it with walnut shells every so often. No argument here take your choice. Me, Seafoam every 3kmi in gas and intake,BSH OCC to catch the blow by,BSH dual port to stop blow by, and no carbon problems in 71kmi. You want walnut shells, you got them.:Thumbsup::Thumbsup:

Jason

20. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: It essentially does the same thing as the BSH Dual Port bypass which MUST be used with the BSH OCC to catch ALL blow by.:Thumbsup:

Jason