Possible MINI buyer... but want some feedback!

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by Whitie, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Whitie

Whitie New Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hi everybody! Looking for some input/feedback here... My girl is getting a new (to her) car, and mpg is the main reason for the move. The $500+ we are putting in the tank of her 2006 Acura MDX suv is just unacceptable (friggen gross is more like it), and we've looked at all the sub-compacts we can swallow... Honda, Toyota, Ford, Nissan, Subaru, etc... they all look the same and have the personality of a doorknob! Then there's this Cooper thing... cool lookin', that's for sure! Seriously considering one and leaning toward a yellow 2009 Cooper S we found locally for just under $15k
    2009 MINI Cooper - Used Hatchback Shrewsbury MA | Foley Motorsports
    [​IMG]
    Seems like 50% more power for a cost of 2 mpg along with everything else the "S" offers is a no-brainer! I know there's tons to learn about any particular vehicle, and I'm just flat out ignorant as to what look for in a MINI... does this one look like a good deal? What gremlins/demons do MINIs have? What options are available & what should I look for?
    LI'L HELP HERE or ideas :idea: would be fabulous!!!!

Thx in advance!

Whitie & Frog

2. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    MINI is a lifestyle not just a car.......MINI has quirks and MINI needs attention..If you just want a gas and go car you might want to keep looking..Don't get me wrong I LOVE MINI , but I see a lot of people buy MINI's because they are "cute" and then when it comes to repairs they freak out at the cost....If you want a new lifestyle get that MINI.
    Just my 2 cents. :)

3. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

May 22, 2012
    Graphic Design Student/Airport Office Assistant
    Flemington, NJ
    Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    Ditto^^^ I would go for a base Cooper also if you want great MPG.

4. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    #4 iwashmycar, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
    I ditched mine the minute my warranty ran out lol.

They are fun to drive, and you can get a very long life out of them, but they are not going to be nearly as reliable as a NA cooper or other little import cars. The 09's have/had timing tensioner issues, and they all seem to have carbon buildup issues from what I gather.

If I ever did it again I'd be looking at '06 S, or a newer non-S

That '09 appears to be pretty darned clean overall. Looks like you may want a new Passenger taillight since it is full of moisture in those pics, and it is missing the antenna, but those are just cosmetics

5. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: By 2009, most of the R56(the car you're looking at) bugs had been worked out. Do make sure that there is some reasonable warranty on it. All of the posts above are correct in my opinion. In greater Mass. area there will be MINI clubs where one can get a lot of help with repairs and advice. Here at MA, we have plenty of knowledge but for 'hands on help', joining a local club has many benefits, mechanical and social. We have a list of nation wide clubs at the top of the page. Good luck and that R56 looks very nice. I have had my 2008 R56 now for 5yrs/73kmi.:Thumbsup:

Jason

6. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Something to keep in mind along with all that has been said is, is there a MINI dealership close to you? In the event you need work done to it that the dealer needs to handle, warranty stuff etc...
    As has been said the Non "S" car will last longer and get better gas mileage, and have been having less problems... but you have less power of course..

7. Tata Steva

Tata Steva MINI of the Month - September 2010

May 30, 2010
    DOP/stock Photography
    TO
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    +1

8. Whitie

Whitie New Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    It's done...

Well, I did it. I bought a '10 Cooper S 50th anniversary Camder Edition, 1 owner, 48k mi... and the girlfriend didn't buy it, I DID! She was too upside down on her Acura MDX that she just bought in Sept., so I traded in my '02 Benz CLK 430. It had 138k mi., so I figure it was time to go. A little squirt car was never my style previously, as you can imaging coming from a truck driver/biker, but this thing's pretty cool! Seems to be put together much better than the Civic and Corolla we looked at, much quicker, and WAAAY cooler!!! Bottom line is, no matter how many times my buddies have asked me, "Does it come in Men's?" or, "Where's the tampon holder?", I LOVE IT!!! (and at 6'4", 225#, I'll kick their a$$ if they don't shut their trap!!!) :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Congrats on your new to you MINI...

Their jokes will fade as soon as you give them a ride on a twisty road.

10. debscooper

debscooper New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Export/Food Service Sales Service
    annandale nj ~ OZ
    Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -0
    Once you give them a ride ....don't let them back into your Mini until they are on bended knee - BEGGING for another ride and offering their best APOLOGY ... darn Girlie Boys - what do they know .... I'd drop them like you dropped the Benz .... welcome to the Cool World of Mini Attics and M/A :Thumbsup:

11. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Take them for a ride on a twisty road and make them get sick (outside of your car) and then smile and say "yeah my girls car did that".

12. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    Sorry we should have warned you that you would end up with a MINI. Once you start you can't stop. The best thing for you to do is just except the fact you will become a MINIac and everything will be ok.....and when your friends end up with MINI's , thats when you can sit back and laugh.

13. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    I'm about the same height and weight as you. I don't get too many digs from friends though. The drives on twisties put an end to that right quick. :devil:

14. panaphobic

panaphobic Club Coordinator

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Congrats on the new MINI! Looks great!

If you're interested in a MINI club, check out my club, MINIs of Boston. I'm not sure where about you live but if your South of Boston, you can also check out Southern MA MINIs.

https://www.facebook.com/SouthernMAMINIs?ref=ts&fref=ts

Hope to see you at a local MINI Meet in the near future!

15. Zipy

Zipy New Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Retired three years ago(2010)
    East coast of South Florida
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Keep both hands on the wheel and eyes on the road; the quick steering can get you into trouble very quickly. It's not that the car is lightning fast; just reacts quickly to the slightest twitch - it's called handling. Love it!:Thumbsup:

16. Mini813

Mini813 New Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Warehouse Manager
    Tampa FL
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Haha, the first day I got mine my co-workers told me "men that's a girls car" then I offered a ride and now they said WTH you have on that Mini? Damn that thing is fast!!!

17. debscooper

debscooper New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Export/Food Service Sales Service
    annandale nj ~ OZ
    Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -0
    Ha . . .Men . . . Don't know a good thing until they're sitting on it. !!!:beer

18. Tata Steva

Tata Steva MINI of the Month - September 2010

May 30, 2010
    DOP/stock Photography
    TO
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Great buy! Great color!.....

Now.... LOWER HER!

Coilovers, springs.... I don't care....

19. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator