Pre Migration Most liked posts in thread: Posting links

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Got me on that one. looked through all the posting options and could not find a setting. I'll ask on the vBulletin site and see if this is now a "feature" of the latest version.

2. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    seems to me like it works, or I don't get what the question is.

you trying to do this? where 'this' is the link? It links fine but doesn't show up a different color so people might not know it's a url until they mouse over it

edit - I did that by typing the word I wanted displayed as a link, selecting it with the cursor and then clicking the [​IMG] button to insert the url. Is that what you mean? Just a shortcut for that?

3. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Ah, yes, that's it. On NAM, for instance, if you don't preselect text, it opens a dialog box that asks you for the (optional) text that will appear as the link. I've gotten use to adding links that way, and didn't think to type text first and then select that to be the hypertext.

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Something lead back to this and I can explain more.

The two step box was done away with I think in vBulletin 3.7.x, we are on 3.8.2, the current as of this writing is 3.8.4. We didn't update as the fixes do not effect the way we use the site.

As to why the link will often show as actual text instead of some thing like http://www.sitename/path/path...xyz is from a product used on M/A that rewrites links to be something someone can actually understand so long as the link has that information in it.

5. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I have to admit, I kinda like it the way it is. Sometimes you have links that contain profanity in the URL and the site censoring software will often change those to *** and in doing so change the actual URL, with this setup it seems that the URL would be left alone and the editing only done to the text. Also, reading http://www.somerandomsite.com/morerandomness/WTFBBQ/images doesn't really tell me all that much anyways.
    (I swear I didn't mean for that URL to actually go anywhere but it sure does. lol)