1st Gen R50 Cooper Power Steering problem already?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Soap, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Soap

Soap New Member

Mar 18, 2012
    CFO of Elgersma Inc, my 8month old is the CEO!
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I just bought a new to me, 03 R50 last weekend. Everything on the car checked out great not a drop of liquids anywhere and the power steering pump didnt make a noise (double checked this knowing about the probability of one being bad). Then last night as I pulled the mini out to give it an actual bath. I noticed a couple of drops of green/blue fluid on the floor of the garage. :eek6: Is this the start to my power steering pump going out or am I off on my diagnosis. Sugestions please.

2. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    #2 k-huevo, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
    Most likely coolant from the color. Where the drops are located might direct you to where it may be coming from. Raise the vehicle and have a look. If there is dripping from under the gear box next to the oil pan, look up top for a leak from the thermostat housing on the head, #10 here, facing the engine it is on the right side of the valve cover, follow the fill tube down, there would be visible residue around the housing. There are many other locations it could be coming from and could be a simple as spill from an overfilled coolant overflow reservoir.

3. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Most of the problems with the power steering are electrical, not leakage. Although there have been some filler hoses leak at the clamp. Also, after a while the fluid turns more brown than green, so unless it's already been changed recently it won't be that color. Also, not many of the pumps get noisey before they quit - they just stop working suddenly.

I'm betting on a coolant leak as well.....

4. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Possibly washer fluid as well, depending on what is in it...

The thermostat housing and thermostat gasket on the R53 (S version of your car) is a classic place to find a leak, as are the seams in the coolant expansion tank (where you put coolant in). A new coolant tank has been provided since your car was built, so replacing the stock tank (if that is the problem) will help and the new one should last longer. There is also a cool stainelss version made by Forge that is available from aftermarket suppliers (I got one from Way Motor Works).

5. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    +4.

If you see drops again, try to do a feel and smell test to see if it's coolant (most likely) or PS fluid.

6. Soap

Soap New Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the help. I will be looking under the hood tomorrow to get a good look. I dont know why i didnt even think of coolant just based off the color of the fluid. Man I gotta stop working so much!

7. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    MINI coolant is the color you describe. So is the PS fluid, but the PS fluid is much more viscus.

My money is on a leaking thermostat housing. A very common problem.

8. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Even on the "03's? I thought that was more so on th elater cars, especially the '06?

At any rate, I'd check the coolant tank back by the firewall, they've been known to leak at the seams.

9. Soap

Soap New Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the heads up on the thermastat housing. I had a loose clamp on one of the coolant lines. After a little tightning up she is no longer a leaker. Thanks for the heads up.

10. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    That would be a nice inexpensive fix.

Glad it was something rather simple.

11. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009