Suspension Brakes 1st Gen Problem with lifting mini over 2"

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Tummi_Gummi, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    So I have ksport coilovers. I can adjust the height about 2 1/2" over stock or about same amount below. However when I try lifting it up to about 1 3/4" the end links begin to rub the hard brakelines. Are there any other end link styles that help with this? I want to run fat sidewall tires on 16s narrow 195. Probably 195/55/16 with quad lights and put my front mudflaps back on. Kinda mimic some rally and set the coilovers really soft maybe about 8/32

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    What endlinks are you using now?

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Power grid or white line makes great adjustable end links.

4. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Ksport came with really beefy adjustable endlinks.

5. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    195/55r16 is the stock 16 S TIRE size (and the optional non s size).....so not really "big and fat".....heck you can run that size at lower than stock....at stock snow clearance will be fine.
    If you do jack it up an extra bit....IMO try it in a few stages....just as going too low can wreck havoc on CV joints and alignment, going too high is the same mathematically.... You might find s slight increase gives you the look without costing you a bunch of $$.

6. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    I read somewhere about a couple of guys who bought the White Lines off Amazon and they were actually alittle longer then they'd like so they might be right up your alley...

7. Ronbo

Ronbo New Member

Feb 10, 2013
    New Albany, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    Seems like an awful lot to be lifting a MINI. What is it going to do to the ride/handling characteristics? I get the whole rally thing, but it seems as though unless your doing alot of rallying it it may come at the expense of some comfort on the street.

Years ago I put a full 3" Rancho Suspension Kit on a 87 Ford Bronco II. Also added aftermarket wheels and bigger BFG Mud Terrains. Looked super cool, but street performance was definitely compromised.

I'm curious as to how your build will effect the MINI's ride? Good luck with the project and keep us posted.

8. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    I'm just worried about safe travel. We see upwards of 6" of snow but usually only a couple while most roads are plowed I'll still be driving over large piles in parking lots so I need all the clearance I can get. I already have everything I need to lift it it's just when I lift it to the height I want I have the issue of the end link ball joint hitting the bracket on the inner fender frame that holds the brake line.