Pulley swap

Discussion in 'Mid-Ohio Motoring' started by isteedman, Oct 20, 2016.

1. isteedman

isteedman New Member

May 28, 2016
    Network Engineer
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm getting ready to swap out my stock pulley to the Alta 15% one. I just ordered the belt but was wondering what spark plugs and tensioner stop you guys would recommend.
    Also, do any of you have a pulley removal tool I could borrow or rent?

Thanks
    Ian

2. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
  3. JMC40

JMC40 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2010
    O...H...!!
    Ratings:
    +373 / 0 / -0
    Alta parts are pretty much crap. If you haven't already bought the pulley, I would recommend the Cravenspeed one. NGKs are good plugs as recommend, but going a step colder isn't really necessary for just a pulley. You have to be careful with the tensioner stops, some of the cheap ones...Alta comes to mind may not let the tensioner fully extend or get stuck which can cause big issues. I never used one myself so I don't have a recommendation for a "good" one. I'm 99% sure I still have the pulley tool. If I can find it, its yours for $20, since I no longer have a use for it.

4. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    NGK's one step colder are preferred with the pulley as you will see some increase in temps. As for the stop.....This is the only time I will ever suggest a WMW part, but he is the only one offering the one that I like and run. Just make sure NOT to install it as it is shown on the web site as it will rattle like a sumbitch. It should be installed opposite of that image. (Just checked his website and apparently it is no longer offered.......)

And yes, get the Cravenspeed pulley. They are the original developers of the 15% and a great bunch of guys.

You might want to consider getting a new tensioner and having it installed at this time also. This should be considered a maintenance item and replaced on a regular basis.

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
  6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Heres every thing you need.

http://www.detroittuned.com/detroit-tuned-supercharger-pulley-kit/

Outmotoring is great also.

You should do as dave said and get a new tensioner. I would also get an idler pulley and check the crank pulley. If its cracked it needs to be changed. I replaced my crank pulley with an ATI. I don't use tensioner stops.

7. isteedman

isteedman New Member

May 28, 2016
    Network Engineer
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the fast response everyone!

I have already bought the Alta pulley, its been sitting on a shelf here for a few months.
    I was already thinking about replacing the tensioner, I get an interesting noise on startup sometimes that reminds me of a sloppy bearing. Could be the idler pulley too.
    Crank pulley and water pump were replaced 3-4 years ago by original owner. :Thumbsup:

If you can find it, I'll buy it!

8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    The noise on start may be your rockers. If it goes away in a second or two I would not worry My mini has done it for years. It only does if it has sat over night or a long time.

9. isteedman

isteedman New Member

May 28, 2016
    Network Engineer
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I have the rocker noise sometimes as well. Much less often since changing the oil weight to 0w40.

This noise is more of a squeal that lasts a second or two.

10. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Have you check for cats under the hood?:D

That may be your belt