Question about tunes in Cali.

Discussion in 'Politics and other "Messy" Stuff' started by ScottinBend, Jan 24, 2010.

1. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I don't want to open up all the crap on the other thread but I am really curious about the how the laws affect tunes in CA.

How can any shop offer dyno/canned tunes in CA?

Under what conditions would a tuning party be canceled because of a threat of legal action?

Does MYNES offer tunes at their roadshows and if so how can they legally do this?

Again I am just really curious and don't want any of this to be construed as an accusation.

2. Motoring Magic

Motoring Magic New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Dec 13, 2009
    Motoring Magic Owner, Ventura County's ONLY MINI s
    Thousand Oaks, Vta cty, socal
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    it seems to me

fraom postings on the other thread and the digging I have done, if the cancelled tune had gone forward, and every car there had a written repair order with all the pertinent info on it, SIGNED BY THE VEHICLE OWNER, and an estimate fee of no charge written in, no law would have been broken.

3. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    1. **Because it is a service they offer.

2. NONE exception a civil suit/action enforcing a shop not to perform labor or local and county regulation not being upheld. Example it would be not having a place to wash your hands if you serve/sell food products.

3.MYNES should answer this one but if you are offering services and have a permit or license to do so.....It is not an issue of legality but one of proper licensing to conduct a service within counties and states you are providing that service or under the blanket of a shop letting you use there facilities and they understand they are the ones responsible.

Case in point if you want to have a tune service to offer at Laguna Seca Raceway during an event you must first apply with a valid CA Automotive license or temporary permit along with insurance during the day you will offer your service.

** I posted about the current CA CARB information about ECU re-flashes. To summarize at the present time a ECU re-flash is under no regulation and requires no CARB no.

4. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Yes but you left out it would have had to of been the shop not visitor using their facility. Unless the work performed billed as labor through the shop/facility.

I am also curious as to who gets the money collected for the actual service rendered under what you describe? Or would this then be considered "under the table" ?

5. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    I do not believe they do any work at the ABF shows, to much stuff going on.

6. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Here's my take...

Just by doing it. Technically, screwing with ECU settings on emissions controlled vehicles is a no-no (fed as well, not just Cali). that said, a good tuner will be able to tune cars that will pass the sniff test, or be even cleaner!

case by case, I don't think there would be any hard and fast rule here. The state is so broke, I can't see the CA government having any resources to persue tuner.
    Ask Mynes. But FWIW, lots of car parts and equipement suppliers offer parts with a disclaimer. "Not for use on public roads blah blah blah" to shift the issue to the car owner.

Really, this is an interesting area, as there are no shortage of tunes for sale (check out what you can get for Ford/GM stuff!). Technically, I think it's ALL illegal!

Matt

7. Motoring Magic

Motoring Magic New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Dec 13, 2009
    Motoring Magic Owner, Ventura County's ONLY MINI s
    Thousand Oaks, Vta cty, socal
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0

NOPE-SUB LET. as long as the vehicle owner knows a sub let person is doing the work performed, the shop where it is performed (THIER DYNO) can choose to handle the money anyway they want-as long as that R.O. is signed and the customer is aware of a sub let situation Ca code #s
    9884.9 a
    3353 c

the shop whose Ro is signed is responsible for the sub let work as if they performed it themselves, at to wtty, legality, etc.

8. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    There is more to it than you are posting but I will let this go...:lol:
    You are leaving out too many other Ca codes that will open up the Pandora's box. Which I know you are not trying to do :rolleyes: :lol:

9. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    So why cancel the tune party.......if it wasn't really going to be a problem for anyone?

10. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    We don't want to go there again please.

We'll probably never know the real story behind this and it's probably best left to be a story best left to speculate with a few beers in hand around a dragon campfire or AMVIV parking garage party.

11. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Sorry, I guess I should have stated the question better.....I really just wanted to try and get a clarification on why would a shop cancel a tune party if there really wasn't a problem with the work being done.

12. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Obviously the shop must have smelled something bad about it. :confused5:

13. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    #13 goaljnky, Jan 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
    Anyone thought of calling the shop? Those of you that really need that info, of course.

14. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    No doubt. I had previously looked at the shop's website (Left Coast Diesel) and the shop probably does a fair amount of business involving tunes. I just looked again and they have removed descriptions of shop and customer vehicles from the website. They wouldn't want to risk it. This is from the NAM thread: