Questioning one's sanity

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Rae, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    So as I stood outside washing my car - in the rain - today, I thought, "hmmmm, this might be a sign of some sort of disorder." Now admittedly, I do like a clean car AND the GP is new in from SoCal, and needs to be clayed waxed, polished, waxed, polished, and detailed to be ready to survive a rainy Oregon winter. But I'm pretty sure any of my non-MINI friends would be questioning my sanity.
    Oh well, back to the waxing ;)
    How many hours do you spend detailing your car?

2. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Once a year ill spend as much as 12 hrs on the paint, and about 1.5 hrs a month after that, with quick 30 min washes when i can.

But washing a car in the rain...i can say i have never done. lol

3. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    A good detailing can take all day sometimes and lots of beer :) I usually will do the MINI and the TR6 at least twice a year like that. Wash, clay, wax, wheels off, etc, etc.

4. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Funny, this afternoon it was drizzling so the first semi-dry day in a while, and next week is supposed to be rain, rain, rain. I debated washing Spike, in the end I opted for watching Top Gear :lol: Spring and late summer I do a full detailing. I try to leave a day between coats of Epic, so the car is out of commission for at least a couple of days. Next year when I get my PC maybe things will run a little faster

5. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I guess I'm insane too....I was doing a Complete detail on this 2006 MCS when I noticed the bonnet was very dull and the orange peel looked different from factory.

[​IMG]

There was only one thing to do.....remove the washer jets
    [​IMG]

Put my attractive assistant to work inside
    [​IMG]

And I wetsanded with 2500 Unigrit
    [​IMG]

And made it look like this now
    [​IMG]

Here's a side by side of sanded/polished and unpolished on the left
    [​IMG]

The Complete Detail took 14 hours and went from this
    [​IMG]

to this
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    You may be insane, but you have lots of company:lol:. I normally do a complete detail (clay, polish, wax, trim dressing) twice a year on our MINIs. I held off this fall as we are building a garage. Well, still no garage:mad2:, hopefully by Christmas:popcorn:. Now the MINIs are parked uncovered with 2 inches of snow on them:rolleyes5:

Mark

7. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Holy shiny! I'll post pics soon. I also realized as I folded the laundry pile - I had 5 distinct piles of towels (dog, floor, car, kitchen, people) not including their sub-sets. It's good to know that I'm in excellent company :Thumbsup:

8. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.:eek:ut: I always get the results I seek. Dawn, claybar, polish and wax twice a year and a bath every week or so. Usually a good dusting is all it needs. Undercarraige once a month and interior and engine bay detail when needed. It is a perceived insanity by neighbors who have to wander over and comment that they have never seen anyone jack up a car, remove the wheels and clean all that stuff down there including the inside of the wheels and tires.

It is catching though. The neighbor's little three year old was out one afternoon cleaning the tires on his tricycle according to his mother. I might invite him over next spring for a good polish and wax job. He's probably getting swirls on his chain guard.

9. Ernesto

Ernesto Club Coordinator

May 16, 2009
    Oracle DBA
    Skokie Ill
    Ratings:
    +658 / 0 / -0
    I was out washing my car yesterday in the drizzle as well.. Tough part was it was 35 degrees outside in Chicagoland. All that work to have a clean-ish car for a snowy MINI get-together today
    Snowy MINI Cooper | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

10. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    If you did a proper job waxing, the snow should just slide off your MINI

11. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    The snow slide right off the layer of ice on ours:rolleyes5::lol:

Mark

12. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Glad to see you are taking good care of your new GP.
    I have been know to wash the car during a drizzle. I figure I need to get the dirt off and the rain is pretty clean. It does make it hard to dry.
    I clay/wax about once a year. I do use quick wax spray about one a month.

13. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    If it's a mental disorder then it's a shared discorder! :cornut:

I washed it in the rain so I could pull it in the garage to dry, remove old wax, clay, etc, etc one of my day long detail binges

I for one can cosign your insanity!:crazy:

14. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Yes but do you clean, polish and wax the under side of your MINI..

I DO ! ......:crazy:

15. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Im stepping it up a notch this winter. I used to wash it whenever I could take my bucket to the local coin-op one... brrrr cold.

All I have to work with is a detached apartment style garage, which is luckily sealed decently, though not a bit of insulation, or ceiling for that matter.

I've got the battery operated power washer, and a propane heater. Neighbors are going to think I am insane carrying a bucket full of car wash suds out to my garage through the snow.

What I have yet to try is parking on a tarp to have more control of the water runoff, and not let it freeze on the concrete floor, which is sloped, but conveniently it just all goes to the corner instead of out the door lol. :eek:ut:
    Im only worried that tarps are flammable.... Got to keep them away from the exhaust and heater...

16. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    I've washed my car in the rain.... it looked like it was going to storm when I started..... then poured in the middle of the wash. By the time I was drying, the storm had already blown over :Thumbsup:

I would probably wash my car in the rain again :eek:ut:

17. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    I guess I have it all wrong. I thought washing my car(s) was how you made it rain. :idea:

18. cop1406

cop1406 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Oink Oink
    Sonora, CA
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Washed mine last week and then it rained. Washed it again, rained two days later. Washed it a third time in one week. Wife said I was obsessed. Duh.......:arf:

19. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    Hey, the 'opposition' want a right of reply:

Just having a use for the word 'detailing' means your sanity isn't in question - it's already gone. Just using the word is grounds for medication.:eek6:

I'm worried about myself as I clean the roof of my car once or twice a year more often than I clean the roof of my house.

20. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    You aren't really in trouble until you routinely wash and clean the car while it is snowing.

Happens to me at least 3 times a year.....lol