1st Gen R52 Cooper Convertible Most liked posts in thread: Questions about RPMs on my 07S

1. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Welcome aboard. Sadly just because you have the phone button on the wheel, it does NOT mean you have blue tooth. There is a kit which will allow the button to work. Yes, you have the turbo. There should be clock on the radio. When the radio is off, time is in the center. When on, it is off to the right. It also shows up on the tach. Not sure I understand the shift point question.

Jim

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Sounds to me like your clutch is slipping, take it back to the dealer and demonstrate it to him immediately! Otherwise they may try to pin it on your driving style and charge you for the replacement - it should not slip when shifting at 4K, or redline!

Spend some time in your owner's manual, there are lots of custom features you can turn on and off in your car, the clock is one of them...

3. Blue07S

Blue07S New Member

May 9, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for the quick response, I will look for the kit.

I will have it looked at immediately, thank you haven't had a chance to go through manual yet, having to much fun with the top down. I will make it my next priority after the tranny.

4. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    the '07 convertible is still first gen (R52), so it's supercharged. The turbo convertible was a year behind the R56 hardtop.

5. Zeyk_Shade

Zeyk_Shade Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    LOL @ The incorrect info in the first two responses.

Grodenglaive is correct. '07 S Convertible is the R52 and it is the last Supercharged MINI.
    Not sure how a clutch is slipping in an Automatic either.

6. Blue07S

Blue07S New Member

May 9, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know I have a lot to learn and appreciate the clarity, would you have any ideas as to the RPM concern? My intent is still to take it to the dealer to look at and get a full detail of all the existing and necessary maint to be performed.

7. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I stand corrected about the turbo/supercharger info, but everything else was correct. :yesnod:

Jim

8. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    And I missed the four letter word "auto"... :blush2:

OK, let's make sure we understand each other here - when you hold your foot down and it revs to 4K or above, then shifts into the next gear, the RPM does not drop?

If so I still stand by my answer, take it to the dealer and demonstrate it to him so you're protected - it still could be a clutch in the transmission - very rare on the Aisin 6 speed auto tho to have a problem.

9. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I am admitting I don't have an auto, but I remember some folks saying that it revs really high if the sport button is on. Are you using the SB?

Jim

10. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I have an auto, the sport button doesn't do anything you can't do with your foot on the gas or using the bump stick or the flappy paddles. His description makes it sound like it's slipping when it shifts above 4K, if so it should NOT be doing that - mine doesn't and I shift it at redline all the time - well, frequently.....:Thumbsup:

11. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    1) Welcome to MA. :D

2)Check the trans fluid level. Sounds like what my old AOD trans in my '89 T-Bird did when it started leaking trans fluid. It would hang-up in gears because the valve-body didn't have enough fluid to generate the pressure to induce a shift.

I know these new transmissions have a mess of electric soleniods to accomodate the "Manuamatic" mode but it still has a torque converter and a valve-body that require fluid and pressure to do thier jobs.

3):useless

Let's see some pics of your new ride. :)