Exterior 2nd Gen R&I Door Handles: How to?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by SNEEEZY - Erika, Feb 5, 2011.

1. SNEEEZY - Erika

SNEEEZY - Erika M/A Wrenchin' Babe!
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    Schultze goes into the shop on 02/07 (FINALLY!) for repair work as a result of the "avoid-getting-hit-by-the-dumptruck" incident in December.

Part of the "bonus" work will include having all of his shiny bits (headlight rings, side scuttles, door handles, gas cap & boot handle) painted black. Those bits are currently black thanks to Plastidip.

I've been looking for a how-to for the proper removal & installation of the door handles.

I purchased a set of door handles from a club member who totaled his MINI. Those handles were EASY-PEASY to remove because, well, it was totaled and we didn't need to be "careful", so we just went "at it"! It was awesome to not have to worry about any glass. :devil:

I'll be saving $$$ by removing my current door handles and installing the newly-painted door handles.

However, if it is TOTAL PITA to do, I might just let the shop do it.

If someone could point me in the direction of where to find a step-by-step guide, that'd be great.

Thanks in advance.

2. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
  3. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #3 Jason Montague, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
    :eek6::frown2: When I was going to get the checkerboard handles installed on Margi(08 R56) at my Unnamed dealership,the tech/mechanics were all looking for a place to hide and threatening to call in sick that day:lol:. Apparently the door is completely disassembled and then laboriously reassembled to include window realignment and balancing. The ball park/ top of the head price was:eek6: $350-500/door. So..........I decided to get checkerboard door handle 'covers' at Aesthetic Creations.:Thumbsup:

Jason

Addendum/update- Aesthetic Creations no longer lists checkerboard door handle covers,only solid colors.

4. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Holy crap that is intense. Id do covers as well lol

5. Tata Steva

Tata Steva MINI of the Month - September 2010

May 30, 2010
    DOP/stock Photography
    TO
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    'Got the black door covers from AE. Nice piece but the finish is not that protected (no clear coat). I assume if I would install it just like that, in a few months they would look ugly beaten up and scratched so I decided to paint them body color (HC) or just (HEAVY) clear coat them in the spring.
    Again, I think this is the most clever way to loose the chrome handles, and these AE covers are thing of beauty (especially the pair for Clubman's barn door...)...

6. SNEEEZY - Erika

SNEEEZY - Erika M/A Wrenchin' Babe!
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm...if the windows need to be realigned and balanced, the whole process (except for the cost of spraying the handles) will be covered by insurance!

I'm going to go check-out the how-to....

7. RonsMinnie

RonsMinnie New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 28, 2009
    Sugar Land, TX
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    If you will mark the position of the glass with a marks-alot before you remove it you can avoid most of the hassle of aligning the glass.