1st Gen R50 Cooper R50 misfiring on cylinder #1

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by jeffster06, May 20, 2015.

1. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Should really change the thread name to a poor neglected convertible is finally getting help.... I've been driving it for the past few days put about 250 miles on it (she insisted on me driving it so ill keep the miles off my mini :wink:)

The other morning I noticed a wet spot on the garage floor, my initial thought was crap I have a coolant leak (there was a questionable hose going to the heater core). Then I caught some of the drip and smelled it, friggen gear oil. My initial thought was the drain plug was leaking which would explain the RTV on it when I removed it, nope I can't be so lucky the damn passenger axle seal is leaking, here's the weird part, it literally only drops about half dollar spot then stops, and only leaks after driving. There's no residue of spray off the axle etc, I even jacked up the car and watched the small stream dribble down the bell housing then off. after the car really cooled down I wiped the oil off and checked an hour later, still dry. I'm guessing I caught this before it became really bad.

I've ordered a new seal and hope it isn't a pain in the ass to change. She returns next Friday so I really need to get this thing finally sorted out by the end of this coming weekend.