R52/53 visor mod

Discussion in 'Car Builds, Projects, Idea's Experiments' started by davavd, Jun 17, 2009.

1. davavd

davavd Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Architect
    Covington, La
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    The visors are really short, and my morning drive is such that for about 20 miles the sun is low on my left side (not QUITE blocked by the visor pulled straight back). This morning, I suddenly thought about some black plastic discs I salvaged from a toy package. I could get a sheet of something black (carbon fiber :crazy:), cut out a rectangle about 4"x7", round the corners, and make a rotating extension for the visor, using the disc as a back-up on the side of the visor opposite the rotating part. Any suggestions?

2. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I'm not quite visualizing what you're describing... so an extension that kinda "flips out" parallel to the existing visor, or ???

If you just need to add length to the existing visor, another approach would be to make a semi-rigid "sleeve" that slides somewhat snugly over the existing visor. Would be easy to sew up a fabric one with a cardboard or plastic insert for rigidity... this wouldn't provide the potential adjustability of a rotating, articulated extension - but would be simpler and probably more attractive visually IMO.

3. davavd

davavd Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Architect
    Covington, La
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    With the visor in the "put-away" position, all you would see is a black circle about 2" away from the movable end. The center of this circle is the pivot point. On the opposite side of the visor is the rectangle, fastened to the visor with a [pin/bolt/rivet?] through the rectangle, visor, and black disc. In the housed position, the rectangle would point toward the little mirror in the visor. It could be rotated anywhere 360 degrees from there. In the 180 degree position, it would simply be a straight extension of the visor.

4. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I dunno about carbon fiber on the visor. The possibility of slicing open one's forehead in a crash is not desirable. Ditto for any metals. The plastic sheets sound like a safer (if less awesome-looking) bet. Hey, you can always cover the part with the vinyl print of your choice.

5. minispeedrcr

minispeedrcr New Member

May 20, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just use a laminated map and wedge it into the rubber to glass interface. Easy to move with the sun and to get directions at the same time.

6. davavd

davavd Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Architect
    Covington, La
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I haven't played w/ CF except in the raw fiber form, and that was way back when it first became available (someone sent us a sample). What is it about it that makes it sharp? :eek:ut: Couldn't I sand & polish the edges?

But, you're right, the rectangle need not be CF. A 12x12x.093" sheet of black ABS is only $1.28.
    ABS Sheet General Purpose (Sheet, Black, 0.093 in) - Materials - Interstate Plastics

7. Ryephile

Ryephile New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Yes!
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    If you ever see a collision in Formula 1, you know that carbon fiber splinters and shatters when it impacts with force. A nice flexible ABS sheet is a much better idea!

That said, I'm convinced sun visors are still just a way to spend useless money in cars. Unbolt them, enjoy the added visibility, lighter weight, and buy yourself a nice pair of sunglasses. :cool:

8. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    You can smooth the edges but when it breaks it creates a very rough, jagged, splintery mess and CF splinters are even less fun that wood or metal splinters in your hand. I used to have a piece off the wrecked tail section of the car that won the Rolex 24 at Daytona in '08. I finally had to throw it out because it kept having more and more little splinters break off with even the slightest contact.

9. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    #9 goaljnky, Jun 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
    While technically true, that is quite a reach there...:ihih:

10. Norm03s

Norm03s New Member

May 5, 2009
    Working at being retired.
    Somewhere in Sykesville. Md.
    Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    Carbon fiber can be dangerous stuff. A buddy of mine had a carbon fiber arrow blow up off the rest and drive splinters into the back of his bow holding hand. It was bad, you couldn't just pull them out because they would just break off. He ended up with a settlement and permanent nerve damage.

OT, I have the same situation on my morning drive. Have you seen the over the door visors in the R56 models? I was thinking about adapting those or others from a different car/truck or tinting the top 4" of the window with limo dark tint.

11. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    There are lots of different visor extensions already on the market

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    My thought also.

Mark

13. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I have some suggestions:

1. Get a new job on the other side of the city.
    2. Call in late every day.
    3. Tint the entire windshield. I know a guy in Florida who can give you some tips. Coincidentally he is also a master wood/speaker wall fabricator.

14. davavd

davavd Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Architect
    Covington, La
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Lotsie::shocked: you mean its not an original thought?! :smilewinkgrin:

GJ: 1. love my job, 2. I'm the one who's ALWAYS early, 3. Front isn't the problem, it's the side and I'm a ragtop

15. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Now I get it!
    I suggest this, you get the side visor that comes on the tin-tops, screw it to two of those plastic mounts people use to fly flags on their cars (the kind that slip over the side windows). Install it so that the visor is now inside the car at the top of the driver's side window and you'll have a setup that looks somewhat factory from inside the car, is there when you need it but can be stashed out of the way when you don't, and can be adjusted forward and back on the side window to block the sun where you need it.

16. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0

:smilewinkgrin:

17. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I use cut & folded office folders stuffed between the glass and rubber. It is the current iteration of a long line of various paper designs and models.

18. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    There are different grades of carbon fiber(the miss understood material LOL ) so many think that it is in-destructible ?

I so agree with removing them and wear sunglasses..:cool:

19. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Funny you mention this...there is now a clear tint that will give 95% UV protection and is glare resistant. But then there is vehicle code regulations in various states concerning the coverage of windshields?