R52 Guage Question

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Robbdoe1, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Robbdoe1

Robbdoe1 New Member

Nov 9, 2019
    Male
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi. This is my 1st post and I wanted to say hello to everyone and ask a question. I have an 07 R52 convertible S. It has the tachometer on the left and speedometer on the right. Are the 2 of them separate? I'd like to replace the tachometer as the information LCD at the bottom is barely legible.

Thanks in advance and hello to all.
    Robb

Attached Files:

2. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Welcome to M/A! I can't help you, as my MCSes are '06es, but there are those on here who are far more knowledgeable than I and who can and WILL help you.

Again, WELCOME to M/A!!!

3. Robbdoe1

Robbdoe1 New Member

Nov 9, 2019
    Male
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you.

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA! I believe you can open it up and replace the light in it. I will have to check

5. Red Bull

Red Bull Active Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Welcome!

Unfortunately the dual gauge pod contains a single circuit board and the gauges are not separate. The main unit in the center (NAV, or chronological pack, or giant speedo with single tach on column) contains specific info like the car options/configuration for the steering column gauge(s) and dummy lights, mileage, and the VIN.

However, the part number for the dual gauge display shows fitment for R50, R52, R53, Chrono pack or NAV, on a MINI parts website so you might be able to replace it with any new or used unit.

I've also read on a Euro MINI forum that the steering column gauges are "dumb displays" that are driven by the center cluster. Hopefully someone can confirm if this is the case.

If so, you should be able to pick up any 1st gen dual pod and use your trim if the replacement isn't chrome.

6. Robbdoe1

Robbdoe1 New Member

Nov 9, 2019
    Male
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for the detailed response. That's what I was afraid of.......I'll add that to my quirk list....not exactly an emergency but something for attention when all else is done.