R52 - Needs Help

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by Smoking Pill Doc, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Smoking Pill Doc

Smoking Pill Doc New Member

Dec 27, 2019
    Male
    Connecticut
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hello,

Long time Mini owner but I just joined as I need to do several repairs....

2005 Mini Cooper S Convertible manual with about 121K. We have owned it for 5 years and have had a bunch of work done on it... We recently were told it needed a new clutch, front struts, and CV boot replaced. We were going to sell it and mechanic said enjoy it for now as nothing was urgent. So my wife was out driving when the shifter cable broke and now the car is stuck in 3rd gear. Luckily she was close to home and was able to drive it home.

So as its value dropped with the fact someone can't take it out for a test drive, I have decided to use this winter to fix it.... so here I am!

I will be scouring the forum for suggestions on what else I should fix while I have the car apart as well as what upgrades I should make.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Welcome to M/A! Where are you located? We have many Gen 1s here and you'll get sound advice from others but not me, as I am pretty brain dead. However, given your problems, I'd suggest a new shifter cable to start, along with a new clutch, for starters. the front struts would come next. You might try www.detroittuned.com, as they are experts on MINI's many problems and can offer great help in determining what should be fixed now.

That said, I am positive you will find the help and advice you need here. Being the Holidays, not many M/A members are on at this time, but REAL help is forthcoming. Good luck and welcome again!

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Where are you located?

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    A shop told my friend she needed a new clutch, it was 3 years till I replaced it for her. If it's not slipping I would not worry about the clutch. But if you want to replace it I would use this one

https://www.detroittuned.com/valeo-mini-cooper-s-clutch-kit-gen-1/

Make sure and replace the slave cylinder at the same time. I would get new struts from either

https://www.detroittuned.com or https://www.outmotoring.com

New front control arm bushings. I would use Power Flex bushings. they will last forever. The CV boots are easy to change and of course the shift cable.

5. Smoking Pill Doc

Dec 27, 2019
    Male
    Connecticut
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the feedback. I am located in CT.

6. Smoking Pill Doc

Dec 27, 2019
    Male
    Connecticut
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My shop has been saying the clutch will need to be replaced for the past 2 summers (odd noise when releasing clutch and clutch is "heavy" per shop). I had not thought of the slave cylinder...Thank you!

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Smoking Pill Doc

Dec 27, 2019
    Male
    Connecticut
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Quick question about shifter cable replacement... currently the car is stuck in 3rd gear. Do I need to get it out of 3rd gear before I replace the cables? All the videos I have watched the car is in neutral. If I do need to get it out of 3rd gear, how do I do it?
    Thanks

9. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    If you remove the air filter housing you will see where the cables connect to the transmission you could put it in neutral by hand. I don't know why it would need to be in nurtural

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List