Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S R53 Headers

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by BSTINS, Jul 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    The header shouldn't affect the DEQ test UNLESS you remove the cat. And if you do remove the cat, expect to have to deal with the obligatory error codes unless you get an O2 simulator.

2. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    ......and the MSD is a great coil. Been using one for years with no problems.

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    MSD is crap just like the scream'n deamon crap.

OEM coil is still the best, period. If you want a red one paint the OEM one.

Everything else has only been butt Dyno proven which means nothing. The only reason they make the car run great when you put them on is you replaced a worn part with a new one.

Just wait till the codes come......because they will and I hope you don't fry your ECU

4. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    :rolleyes:

seriously.....MSD is crap huh? WOW, wonder why all those race teams use them? And the contacts on the MSD don't corrode like the stock ones do, do they?

Just cause Jan don't like 'em, doesn't mean they aren't good.

5. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    OK you two... Dont get your pantys in a twist.

Even though this thread is on the verge of derailig itself, I am going to nudge it a little further off topic, but still keep it on the same track the OP left off with.

Has ANYONE here ever seen a STOCK coil do this? VVV
    2012-01-18092920.jpg

I have seen way more pics of failed MSD coils but cant seem to find them at the moment. The MSD coil never even was a MINI specific part... they where originally made for the NEON! Why do you think you need to drill the holes out to fit the bolt pattern on the MINI's valve cover?

The above pic didnt just end in a cracked low quality case (When the low quality resistors failed) it also shorted out the ECU, and that was the end of that car for a while.

MSD did have decent stuff back in the lte 70's to the early 90's, but after all the cars went to computer controlled fuel injection, they have fallen way behind the curve. Now they SUCK.

6. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    And apparently another Jan follower cause this is the same story he tells.

And what about the corrosion on the terminals the OEM coil suffers from? Mine lost the #3 terminal within about the first year and a half. Went to the MSD coil and haven't had a problem. Even got my RMW tune with it.

Enough already, we've had enough of the Jan koolaid.....

And the JCW OEM plugs were originally for a Porsche......so what.

7. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Had a guy in the club experiencing problems after installing an MSG, he looked for everything else and then finally reinstalled his factory OEM coil as suggested. Problem solved, car runs fine now. MSG makes some good products when they are used for the applications they are designed for.

Not Kool-aide when it is fact and the fact is the MSG coil was not built for the Mini and the fact is they have a history of problems when they are used on a Mini.

8. TheModFather

May 15, 2012
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    Nope NOT really just a RMW follower, I will support anybody who makes a good product. RMW, MYNES, all the little guys out there, dosent matter who it is.

For the corosion issues with the stock coil...
    If people would use dilectric greese like they should, and would perform preventitive maintanance like they should... Problem solved. How often do you check your plug wires?

9. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    ^ this. Dielectric grease, used properly. I didn't used to, and I do now. World of difference.

Also a little battery terminal corrosion preventer might help. Started trying that recently, too soon to know long-term results.

10. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    heh..yep, it was a full on Tuesday, July 4. How can I tell without consulting the Moon Phase charts or looking out side..The post quality of some people round here goes to hell.

Some people have have great sucess with the MSD coil, others have not. For the price I'd rather not risk it. The OEM works fine and costs less. However, it is your money and your choice.

11. 90intherain

90intherain New Member

Sep 17, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Speaking from experience I fried a plug with MSD on my MINI. I had an MSD on my Jeep, no problem. It's not "koolaid". It test tried and proven.

12. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Thought this was a header thread? BTW.....the stock one works well to....just sayin :biggrin5:

13. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yawn, see above. Race teams use them for other cars not Minis.

It's not an RMW thing, it's reality, sorry if the truth hurts.

14. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I have used dielectric grease for decades on all of my cars and never had a problem with any of them until the MINI. Switched to the MSD and it has performed just fine. And it was designed to run on the engine, it just doesn't carry a MINI sticker on it.

Last time I checked the OEM coil was around $110.......:skep:

15. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    This whole thread is becoming a "yawn".

16. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Yep.........:sad:

17. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    OK.....so I decided to do a bit more research on the MSD coils and I now agree with those of you that consider it a crappy substitute for the OEM coil. I guess I have just been lucky with mine, but there is a lot of info out there that these coils are in fact causing problem across many, many different manufactures.

So I would like to apologize to those who obviously knew better than I.

Being that my OEM coil corroded fairly badly WITH the use of dielectric grease, anyone have any suggestions so that this doesn't happen with my new OEM coil.....? :biggrin5:

18. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I just check it often and scuff any corrosion off with 220 grit sandpaper and re-dielectric grease it again. Very cheap insurance to me.

I check it every 2k or if I am I the engine bay cleaning something else or checking oil and coolest levels.

Yeah I am OCD about my car and motor, outside and inside.

19. TheModFather

May 15, 2012
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    Takes a real man to admit when they where wrong.:Thumbsup:

Best way I found to keep the corosion away on the stock coil:
    Whenever you wash your car, (After drying) pull the wires and just scuff them with some course steel wool. Then just give them a sprits of electric cleaner/protectant, wipe the old greese out of the boots and reaply new.
    Sounds time consuming but really it ony takes minutes, and if you are like me, you are sitting around waiting for most of the water in the cars chassis and body seams to dry anyhow after a good wash.

20. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Thanks........I'll just add it to my list too!